introducing a new member of the flock

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
Our flock is small. Like 2 outside and 1 inside in a brooder still. outsiders are about 9 wks old. the insider is about 4 wks.
Outs are a faverolle and brabanter, inside is a buff orpington.
we also have 2 ducks in a separate run.
I was separating the duck yard from my now dead.nonexistant garden and took the baby outside to meet the bigs.
It didn't go well. I don't think there is much danger to the little...he moved(away from the bigs), and the bigs ran and hid inside the coop. They came out, but as soon as little moved, bigs ran and hid.
I've read how to keep the littles safe during introduction. But I've not seen how to keep the bigs from being terrified of the little fluff butt.
Ideas?
I think its still several weeks away from her being thrown to the birds(stuck in the coop with the others), because she can fit her tiny head through the screen things. I dont' want that to be a habit that results in an accident

Last edited:
best thing is to put the little one in a cage that is open view (like wire and not solid like wood) and put that in with the big guys. This allows the little one to run in her own area and the bigs the ability to get away. But it will let them all SEE each other, without worry about attacks on one another. The more often you have them in view of each other, the easier your transition will be when your little one is ready to go outside.

Best Wishes,
Laura

Quote:
100% x2! A gradual transition with plenty of time between small changes is the most trouble-free way. When u do integrate, fully, be sure the little has somewhere to go to escape/hide when they are chased by the bigs.
Best of luck with your integration.
Brightest Blessings!

Rachel'sFlock :

Quote:
100% x2! A gradual transition with plenty of time between small changes is the most trouble-free way. When u do integrate, fully, be sure the little has somewhere to go to escape/hide when they are chased by the bigs.
Best of luck with your integration.
Brightest Blessings!

So fa the short supervised visits its not the bits picking on little, it's bits terrified of little and running to hide from her​

Back
Top Bottom