Introducing a New Muscovy Hen

Tay's Ducks

Chirping
Jun 17, 2017
Currently I have one Muscovy drake and one Muscovy hen. It has been this way for the last 2 years. However, I would like to add another adult hen to the flock because my current hen’s feathers have seen better days because my drake is always standing on her. I am concerned that my current ducks would attack and not welcome a new hen. How do you introduce a new hen to the flock?

Easiest way would be to let your hen hatch. One more hen won't make too much difference on the mating wearing.

You can pen new birds where they can be seen through a fence for a few days. Generally muscovy are easy going to new members. It also can depend on whether yours are confined or free roaming.

Easiest way would be to let your hen hatch. One more hen won't make too much difference on the mating wearing.

You can pen new birds where they can be seen through a fence for a few days. Generally muscovy are easy going to new members. It also can depend on whether yours are confined or free roaming.
They are typically confined...will this negatively impact the experience? My drake is very territorial. When a human goes in his pen to clean it or anything he gets upset 😂

Your drake will probably be excited to see another hen. I've only brought in a new drake, so I'm unsure how you hen will react. I've seen my hens fight on occasion but never nothing too bad.

Fence them next to each other for a bit, than let them mingle and see how it goes. Separate them if necessary again.

Back
Top Bottom