introducing a young rooster to an existing flock with two established roosters

Molnut

Songster
Oct 1, 2015
Port Angeles, WA
I got 3 unexpected roosters in my latest order. Two were left with the new flock and one went to my other established flock. This latest flock includes 47 hens and two roosters. The hens are mostly 1 1/2 year old and so is one rooster. The other rooster is older. Neither are aggressive. There has been a progressive introduction. The two older roosters have mostly been running after the new one to establish dominance. The young roo is not challenging them and mostly running away, avoiding to be close to the other roosters.
The only scuffles are when the young roo is trying to catch a female. He just gets chased away, but ends up being by himself most of the time. He still does sleep by himself in the introduction coop. I have been placing him in the main roost at night for the past 3 nights now.

My questions/dilema :
It has been two weeks now. How long should I expect this to go on until he is truly integrated to the flock?
Will he ever be fully integrated or is this just a waste of time?
Should I bring new pullets to make a flock of is own and then begin the intro in the old flock again?
Thanks

I have no experience of this, but a younger bird, regardless of gender will remain on the periphery of a flock until they reach maturity.

Am a bit confused by the numbers and ages.
New flock is 47 birds with 2 males, and were all hatched this spring??
Established 1.5yo flock is how many...
...too many for the male there,
so you added one of this springs males??

How to proceed might depend on your housing available and your flock goals.

Am a bit confused by the numbers and ages.
New flock is 47 birds with 2 males, and were all hatched this spring??
Established 1.5yo flock is how many...
...too many for the male there,
so you added one of this springs males??

How to proceed might depend on your housing available and your flock goals.
I have no experience of this, but a younger bird, regardless of gender will remain on the periphery of a flock until they reach maturity.
Thanks I didn't know this. It gives me hope things will turn out fine for that cockrel.

Sorry for the confusion Aart.
Flock 1 is 1 1/2 years old. There are 47 hens and two establised roosters. This is where I have introduced the cockrel, making a total of 3 roosters.
Flock 2 is 18 weeks old. There are 54 hens and 4 roosters.
Coop 1 is 160 sf. Coop 2 is 180 sf. They all are on pasture with electric fencing.
Hope this helps. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom