Introducing adult pyr to poultry

lishah2000

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I took in an adult pyr with very little history. I want to give her the best opportunity to do things right.

So far I've been walking her around the property lines and letting her walk around on a long line and watching her. She has shown very little interest in the birds. Mostly just watching for a few moments.

I took her into my biggest run on leash and of course the chickens went nuts. She looked under the coop at them, then looked into the coop, then walked away. After a few minutes she went to the far end of the run and laid down and went to sleep. Eventually some of the chickens came to investigate and she only looked up at them then laid her head back down. The chickens started to relax and went back to their normal business.

I can keep the chickens in their runs while working with her, but my ducks and tom turkey are free-range. I can set up a trolly system for her, but not sure if that's the best way to go. Open to any advice on how to proceed from here.

Hi I have great pyr. Male nine months old. By nature very gentle and they do not get rattled to easily. Mine has never hurt any of my flock. Even tiny little chicks. Just keep her around your flock as much as you can. Don't think you should have a bit of trouble. I have free range turkeys.....and let my geese chickens and ducks out all the time.

Back
Top Bottom