Introducing barring and lacing

Okay, thank you. The barred pair then would make all barred, ideally, correct since it's the opposite of a sexlink pair?

Yes.

The daughters will be true breeding for barred (cross them to their father for 100% barred offspring that will all breed true.)

The sons will have one copy of the not-barred gene from their mother, so if you breed from them you will get both barred and not-barred offspring.

Yes.

The daughters will be true breeding for barred (cross them to their father for 100% barred offspring that will all breed true.)

The sons will have one copy of the not-barred gene from their mother, so if you breed from them you will get both barred and not-barred offspring.
Awesome, thanks.

Do you know if any of those patterns would work with my male too to bring them in too? I don't know what color he has, but i know it would also probably be happier for most of them to use hens instead and not break the group up as much as possible

Also cuckoo and barred would work the same, right? Or would I HAVE to get a barred pattern and not a cuckoo?

cuckoo and barred would work the same, right? Or would I HAVE to get a barred pattern and not a cuckoo?

Barring and cuckoo can be considered the same for genetics purposes--the difference seems to be in how tidy the white barring is. But they both use the same barring gene on the same black background.

Do you know if any of those patterns would work with my male too to bring them in too? I don't know what color he has, but i know it would also probably be happier for most of them to use hens instead and not break the group up as much as possible

For barring (or cuckoo), it's probably more convenient if you use a barred rooster, who can sire barred chicks of both genders. (Although using a barred hen could produce barred sons, not pure for the barring gene, who could in turn produce both sons and daughters with barring and without barring.)

For the single lacing and double lacing, I don't think it matters what gender bird you bring in. So you could use a purchased rooster with one of your hens, or a purchased hen with your rooster.

And of course if you purchased one hen in each color to add to your current flock, you would only need one breeding pen that year. (Although then you would split them up the next year, to cross various colored hens to their own sons.)

Barring and cuckoo can be considered the same for genetics purposes--the difference seems to be in how tidy the white barring is. But they both use the same barring gene on the same black background.

For barring (or cuckoo), it's probably more convenient if you use a barred rooster, who can sire barred chicks of both genders. (Although using a barred hen could produce barred sons, not pure for the barring gene, who could in turn produce both sons and daughters with barring and without barring.)

For the single lacing and double lacing, I don't think it matters what gender bird you bring in. So you could use a purchased rooster with one of your hens, or a purchased hen with your rooster.

And of course if you purchased one hen in each color to add to your current flock, you would only need one breeding pen that year. (Although then you would split them up the next year, to cross various colored hens to their own sons.)
Awesom. I'm thinking if adding another rooster to the group next year when I bolster numbers so I'll do the cuckoo male and the others will be female. Then I only have to worry about one male as opposed to 3.

Thanks for dealing with these questions. I see such pretty naked necks on here, but i have no way to bring in those types of patterns where I am, so I have to just make my own

Back
Top Bottom