introducing chicks 7 weeks age difference

Tina12

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
I have 6 pullets that are 16 weeks old. Then I have 11 chicks that are 9 weeks old. The coupe is 8x8, The total outdoor run size is 16x32. I have split the coupe in half and created a little 8x8 outdoor run for the youngest chicks. So the 2 groups have been able to see each other for the past 5 weeks or so.

When can I combine the 2 groups? How should I combine the 2 groups? I have gates between them, should I just open the gates?

Here is the breakdown of the 2 groups:

16 weeks old: 3 Easter Eggers, 3 Buff Orpingtons

9 weeks old: 11 BBS Orpingtons with at least 3 roos. Two of the roosters are almost the same size as the older pullets. But there are two in this group that are much smaller. Eventually I will only have 1 roo.

I can take pics if you would like me to.

Thanks in advance,

Tina

Why are you looking to combine the flocks at this time? Is there a reason you need to do so?

When integrating flocks, age isn't as much of an issue as size. The birds need to be physically about the same size. That means you can mix a flock of two week olds with a flock of four week olds, or a group that's 18 weeks with a group of year-old hens.

If I were you, I'd wait until the younger group is physically the same size as the older, when they are about 18 weeks old. Then they'll be large enough to handle the pain the older girls dish out, and be able to defend themselves somewhat. Also, your older group is about ready to switch to layer ration, but your younger group will need chick starter for a while yet and keeping them separate allows you to control their feed.

Integration should be fairly easy once the younger group is 18 weeks old, since they'll be mostly used to each other. Just open up the fence between the two groups and let them mix. They'll go to bed at night in separate groups, where they're used to sleeping. Let them do that for several days to let the flocks integrate, then close up the area where you don't want them to sleep and let the newbies follow the older girls to bed. You might have to go get them for a few days and put them where you want them at night before they get it.

Last edited:
18 weeks... My goodness. I thought the younger group was already a little cramped for space. I will wait for a little longer and see how it goes. Thanks
smile.png

Tina

Cramped quarters do change the equation somewhat. Crowded chicks are aggressive chicks, and you might see some pecking and feather-pulling behaviors. Any way to either get the younger group more room, or switch the two cohorts around so that the smaller group has the smaller space?

So far no aggressive behavior in the younger group. Maybe I will sweet talk my hubby into making the outdoor run a little larger. He won't be happy. I have kept him busy every weekend for the last couple of months...lol. But I did HELP him. I don't know if he would call it help though
idunno.gif

Tina

So far no aggressive behavior in the younger group. Maybe I will sweet talk my hubby into making the outdoor run a little larger. He won't be happy. I have kept him busy every weekend for the last couple of months...lol. But I did HELP him. I don't know if he would call it help though
idunno.gif

Tina
LOL

If they're not showing aggression, just continue to watch them. Give your darling hubby a break.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom