Introducing chicks to pre-existing flock

Kingerrrr

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2018
Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts!

I recently just raised my second batch of chicks, I have a small flock of about 6 chickens and I am just adding three more. I am looking to introduce the new chicks to the flock as well as their new coop and run. When I brought out last years chickens I locked them into the coop for two weeks so that they could learn where their new home is. My questions are this:
- How can I do this with the new chicks, if the chickens need to get into the coop to lay?
- I have been slowly introducing them by having them hang out with eachother several times prior to this, are my chicks in any danger apart from the obvious pecking order establishment?

Response is much appreciated as its time for my newbies to go out full time!

Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts!

I recently just raised my second batch of chicks, I have a small flock of about 6 chickens and I am just adding three more. I am looking to introduce the new chicks to the flock as well as their new coop and run. When I brought out last years chickens I locked them into the coop for two weeks so that they could learn where their new home is. My questions are this:
- How can I do this with the new chicks, if the chickens need to get into the coop to lay?
- I have been slowly introducing them by having them hang out with eachother several times prior to this, are my chicks in any danger apart from the obvious pecking order establishment?

Response is much appreciated as its time for my newbies to go out full time!
How old are the chicks? How old are the chickens?
How large is the coop and run? Is the run completely secure?
It's best to get the littles out with the bigs as young as possible. They are not threatening at that age and too darn fast for the bigs to really hurt them.

Chicks are 6 weeks old, they have been introduce to them several times already. The run is secure, it is 25ft by 14ft. The chickens are a year and a half old.
Leave them out in the run with the bigs for the day with the door to the coop open. Sit and monitor for a while. Make sure there are lots of objects (logs, pallets, etc) for the littles to dart behind but not get trapped in case one of the bigs turns nasty. I think they will be just fine.

Put them in the coop at night when they are sleeping, sometimes they wont even know they had new ones introduced in the AM.

Back
Top Bottom