introducing feather legs, how?

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
OK, I am getting some golden cuckoo marans(clean legged) and want to make them feather legged. So I got some feather legged cuckoo marans. Do I want to take a feather legged regular cuckoo roo over the clean legged goldens? Or do I take a Golden clean legged roo over the regular cuckoo feathered legs? Does it matter?

Last edited:

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
I'm not sure about breeding Marans or feather legs (I don't have feather legged breeds). However, I would guess if you want to spread a gene over a wider population, use the roo with feather legs. That is how we push tufting through the araucana - use a tufted roo over clean faced pullets to produce a higher volume of tufted chicks.

Hopefully others who work with Marans and feather legging can add their insight.

Jody

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
So with that theory then I really wouldn't need any feather legged hens right? Watch, now that I need a roo, none will hatch
Like I needed another project

Last edited:

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
Well, if you end up with a bunch of hens, I suppose you could do it the opposite. All feather legged hens with a clean legged roo. I just find it easier to push a gene using a rooster. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a roo for you.

Jody

GopherBoyFarms

Songster
12 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
all but 2 of our hens are clean leg breeds (we have 18 hend total) and our 1 rooster is a buff cochin, all the babies so far have fether legs....so that might be someplace to start

Top Bottom