1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing feather legs, how?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Oct 18, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    OK, I am getting some golden cuckoo marans(clean legged) and want to make them feather legged. So I got some feather legged cuckoo marans. Do I want to take a feather legged regular cuckoo roo over the clean legged goldens? Or do I take a Golden clean legged roo over the regular cuckoo feathered legs? Does it matter?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm not sure about breeding Marans or feather legs (I don't have feather legged breeds). However, I would guess if you want to spread a gene over a wider population, use the roo with feather legs. That is how we push tufting through the araucana - use a tufted roo over clean faced pullets to produce a higher volume of tufted chicks.

Hopefully others who work with Marans and feather legging can add their insight.

Jody

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    So with that theory then I really wouldn't need any feather legged hens right? Watch, now that I need a roo, none will hatch [​IMG] Like I needed another project [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Well, if you end up with a bunch of hens, I suppose you could do it the opposite. All feather legged hens with a clean legged roo. I just find it easier to push a gene using a rooster. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a roo for you. [​IMG]

Jody

5. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    all but 2 of our hens are clean leg breeds (we have 18 hend total) and our 1 rooster is a buff cochin, all the babies so far have fether legs....so that might be someplace to start [​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:That's good to know, thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by