introducing feather legs, how?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
OK, I am getting some golden cuckoo marans(clean legged) and want to make them feather legged. So I got some feather legged cuckoo marans. Do I want to take a feather legged regular cuckoo roo over the clean legged goldens? Or do I take a Golden clean legged roo over the regular cuckoo feathered legs? Does it matter?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about breeding Marans or feather legs (I don't have feather legged breeds). However, I would guess if you want to spread a gene over a wider population, use the roo with feather legs. That is how we push tufting through the araucana - use a tufted roo over clean faced pullets to produce a higher volume of tufted chicks.

Hopefully others who work with Marans and feather legging can add their insight.

Jody

So with that theory then I really wouldn't need any feather legged hens right? Watch, now that I need a roo, none will hatch
lol.png
Like I needed another project
roll.png

Last edited:
Well, if you end up with a bunch of hens, I suppose you could do it the opposite. All feather legged hens with a clean legged roo. I just find it easier to push a gene using a rooster. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a roo for you.
fl.gif

Jody

all but 2 of our hens are clean leg breeds (we have 18 hend total) and our 1 rooster is a buff cochin, all the babies so far have fether legs....so that might be someplace to start
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom