Introducing mother and babies back into the general population

nasus1962

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Hi, I have 6 new baby chicks that are 5 weeks old. They are in a nursery we built with their Rhode Island Red mom. When should I let them out with my other chickens? Mine have free range of my big yard and are locked in their coop at night. I have let mom and babies out of the nursery after I have locked up everyone else. I left one hen that is very friendly out with mom and chicks, but my mother hen attacked her because she got too close to her babies. I have 2 roosters and 9 other hens. Just want to keep everyone safe! Looking forward to replies! I adore my chickens! Thank you.

I think you have to play it by ear. They are all different with different pecking order. My first broody had her own pen, soon after the second broody hatched hers and that was not big enough for two. So I enlarged it, while taking down the one side of fence mama decided to take her chicks for a walk, right through the whole flock, and wants nothing to do with the pen. Now I have a flighty mama with four chicks in there several weeks old, I've left the gate open numerous times and she walks out and goes right back in...she seems to enjoy the place so it's really up to her. Usually the hen will protect her chicks, and I think the sooner the better, I usually just let them go where they want given enough space for all. Even with the flock thebroodies tend to keep off by themselves anyway.

Back
Top Bottom