Introducing my dogs to my chicks

I'm glad things are going well for you, the dogs and the chickies! Things aren't going so well here thus far. We keep holding the chicks up to the dogs and talking to the chicks like "hello little chickie" in a sweet voice, so the dogs know we like them. Our Sheltie just wants to eat them and the two Yorkies just want to play with them - neither of which is a good result. We shall keep trying.

What happens when they see we're coming with a chick:

They obviously think you have a treat. Can you do "through the fence" introductions with them? Can you see into the sides of your brooder. If they can see the chicks NOT in your hands but keeping the chicks safe from them, this is how I do it. My brooder has clear corrugated roofing that is 2ft high. So they can see out and dog and adult chickens that follow me into my shed can see the chicks in the brooder. I also take the chicks out into the grow-out pen for an hour every day, everyone sees everyone. They will be moving out there at the end of the month once fully feathered.

I'm glad things are going well for you, the dogs and the chickies! Things aren't going so well here thus far. We keep holding the chicks up to the dogs and talking to the chicks like "hello little chickie" in a sweet voice, so the dogs know we like them. Our Sheltie just wants to eat them and the two Yorkies just want to play with them - neither of which is a good result. We shall keep trying.

What happens when they see we're coming with a chick:

Don't hold the chicks up to their face. I think it is making it seem like a toy or a treat and is teaching them the wrong thing. I would also recommend not using a cooing or sweet voice. When a dog hears that he thinks his behavior is good and will continue the current behavior.

I would recommend training each dog individually. Put the dog on the leash and control the dog rather than holding the chicks. Let the chicks do their normal chick behavior so the dog can get used to how they act and the noises they makes.

Scold your dog in a stern voice. "no" or "leave it" if they show any interest in the chicks other than simple curiosity. Don't say no over and over. Once sternly. Even happy excited is a no. You want to teach dogs to ignore the birds, not like the birds and there is a big difference. I would recommend scolding the dogs once and then removing them from the area. Wait until they are calm and they start over. and over and over. Working on it a little every day. Its frustrating and takes a lot of patience but the end results are completely worth it.

When the chickens move outside introduce them to the chickens in the coop in the same manor. Good luck!

Last edited:
Don't hold the chicks up to their face. That makes it seem like a toy or a treat and is teaching them the wrong thing. I would also recommend not using a cooing or sweet voice. When a dog hears that he thinks his behavior is good and will continue the current behavior.

I would recommend training each dog individually. Put the dog on the leash and control the dog rather than holding the chicks. Let the chicks do their normal chick behavior so the dog can get used to how they act and the noises they makes.

Scold your dog in a stern voice. "no" or "leave it" if they show any interest in the chicks other than simple curiosity. Don't say no over and over. Once sternly. Even happy excited is a no. You want to teach dogs to ignore the birds, not like the birds and there is a big difference. I would recommend scolding the dogs once and then removing them from the area. Wait until they are calm and they start over. and over and over. Working on it a little every day. Its frustrating and takes a lot of patience but the end results are completely worth it.

When the chickens move outside introduce them to the chickens in the coop in the same manor. Good luck!

I appreciate your words, thank you. I've been training them for quite some time in other areas. One of them is involved in Agility & Rally. I never use the word 'no' as that is confusing to dogs. They know leave it and drop it. We're not holding the chicks up to their faces, we're holding them at our chest level and talking to them (the chick) in a nice tone. We'll hold them up to the dogs so they can view the chick, but definitely not at their faces. When the dogs jump up at us we use "down" because they know that means do not jump and sit...they listen. However, the Sheltie licks his chops and I know him very well - that means he wants to eat it. The other two wag their tails and spin in circles...then run for their squeakers (meaning they want to play with the chicks).

We haven't let the chicks be chicks yet...and haven't tried individual training, so I think that's a very good idea...thank you. All of them there at once I think is confusing the situation for all three of them (and us, and the chicks). I think we'll try that this evening, one at a time, and see how they do - great idea.

They obviously think you have a treat. Can you do "through the fence" introductions with them? Can you see into the sides of your brooder. If they can see the chicks NOT in your hands but keeping the chicks safe from them, this is how I do it. My brooder has clear corrugated roofing that is 2ft high. So they can see out and dog and adult chickens that follow me into my shed can see the chicks in the brooder. I also take the chicks out into the grow-out pen for an hour every day, everyone sees everyone. They will be moving out there at the end of the month once fully feathered.

The chicks are only 5 days old so they are not outside. We might try taking them out of the brooder and placing one down on the floor with one of the dogs. After reading the posts here, I think it's a good idea to separate the dogs and let them view them just 'walking around' on an individual basis (while I hover). The dogs are well trained, actually, but this is something they've never seen before. Our budgerigar/parakeet has free roam of the house, and will often jump on the dogs and ride around on their backs, heads or wherever she can perch easily - they just ignore her. I think they'll be fine with the chickens too...but it's still very strange for them. =) I'll try all the suggestions here. Thank you muchly! :)

He is so gorgeous! Love that pic.

Thanks. That is why I chose him. The breeder had Splash, Lavender and Black Orps. I definately love the Splash. And he had the best Splashing. Although he was raised by her mostly for meat so he is going to be bigger than standard. So unfortunately I don't think he will live as long as expected. I can't wait to get a broody and hatch some eggs sired by him. Gonna be some interesting colors for sure.

Update - you people are amazing. After reading the posts I put the younger 2 in our bedroom and shut the door (they weren't fond of that). I kept our old one (he's 13) out. I put a towel on the floor (we have hardwood and I didn't want the chick getting cold) and put the chick on it and sat down by it. The dog came over and the rest is pretty much too adorable for words.

I was the one flipping out for no reason. Hubby is on the floor with them now.

I'm so upset that I broke my camera, this would be one of the framed ones for sure.

Update - you people are amazing. After reading the posts I put the younger 2 in our bedroom and shut the door (they weren't fond of that). I kept our old one (he's 13) out. I put a towel on the floor (we have hardwood and I didn't want the chick getting cold) and put the chick on it and sat down by it. The dog came over and the rest is pretty much too adorable for words.

I was the one flipping out for no reason. Hubby is on the floor with them now.

I'm so upset that I broke my camera, this would be one of the framed ones for sure.

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh =) Turns out they were only jumping up and down and flipping out because they knew I had something in my hand but didn't know what it was. Every time I held a chick to them I had it cupped inside my hands so they couldn't really see it. =/ D'oh me.
roll.png

Hey CluckyCharms,

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but when a dog licks their lips or the air they are typically telling you that they don't mean any harm, it's OK, I'm just a little stressed. The dog trainers call it "flicking". I don't think it has much to do with how much they want to eat something. You can actually test it out. Just hug your dog. Most likely they will flick and lick you, but they have no intention of eating you. Unless you squeeze really tight
lol.png

Also, ChickensRDinos rocks with more awesome dog training tips.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom