introducing my hens to neighbors flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by laruec, Jun 6, 2010.

1. laruec

laruec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    I have a give away my chickens- I am in trouble with my town, as I do not have the land required to keep my chickens. However, my neighbors do, and I am going to give them my hens.

I have 5 hens, and my neighbors have 12. They will have 17 when it's done. I"ve read that the best TIME to introduce new hens is at night, in the dark. This makes sense. What I am wondering is what is the best NUMBER to introduce at once. Should I introduce all 5 of mine to her 12 on the same night, or should I do it one or two at a time?

Please comment if you have experience or ideas! I want my hens to have a new home that is peaceful and welcoming (as possible anyway).

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I would try a pen within a pen, so they can get used to eachother.

I use this Day Tractor to introduce young birds.

[​IMG]

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I truly don't know the real answer here, and maybe I ought to keep my mouth shut, but...I would think all at once would be better for your girls, that way the other chickens won't have one 'new' chicken to single out. Also, yours would have each other for moral support and company. I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems reasonable to me. Safety in numbers.

4. laruec

laruec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    safety in numbers- I was thinking that too... I think we will try all 5 at once then. Seeing as the neighbor has 12!

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I agree. It's extremely hard for a single chicken to join a flock, kind of like being the new kid at school, only worse.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And don't split up the five into two groups, either - all five at once, or the whole pecking order thing will have to occur with each new addition.

So sorry you have to get rid of your chickens. [​IMG]

7. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by