Introducing my new GIRLS!! Can anybody tell what they are please?

kitkatbahr

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Merritt Island, FL
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new here. I have been reading off and on for a long time, but only just started posting yesterday.

I have two Muscovy drakes with Angel Wing. I decided to get them some "girls" and I picked them up this a.m. The guy said they are Pekin / Muscovy mixes (but I don't think they are. No doubt about the Pekin, cause he had Pekins all over the place. He said the dad was Pekin and the mom was a dark duck with a greenish head).

Anyway, I took some pics of them. I think they may be a Swedish crossed with Pekin? I don't really know, and I was hoping someone could look at them and give me a better idea. They are supposed to be approx. 4 months old. They are much smaller than my huge drakes!! Right now we have them in separate pens until them calm down and get used to us. Then we will open the pens and let them be together.

Thanks everyone! I love reading all the advice and adventures of all of you here. I have learned alot.

These are my boys (Charlie and Drake)
ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics065.jpg

Here are some pics of the new girls. Two are grayish and two are black. They have white bibs. The gray ones have green on their beaks. Very pretty birds! I love them already.

ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics067.jpg

ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics091.jpg

ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics083.jpg

ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics089.jpg

ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics093.jpg

And, for comparison, here are all four of them, standing in front of ONE of the Muscovy Drakes!!

ducksandshuttlesbirthdaypics075.jpg

Thanks everyone!!

Kathy
Merritt Island, FL

I'm no expert, but looks like they have blue or black swedish in them from the white bib. Can't say about the green bill though. I really like the green though, it's pretty cool. Congrats on the new girls!
big_smile.png
Oh, and welcome, this is an addicting site!!!

Last edited:
They look like blue Swedish(mis colored), could be pure or could be mixed with pekin.
I've had pure blue swedish with dark colored bills, some with spots,etc.I think it all depends on how the parents were marked,etc.

Pictures024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are definitly blue swedish.Alot of times the blue swedish arnt actually blue they can be almost black or very light blue.congrats on your beutiful blue swedish duckies
clap.gif
clap.gif

Hi - As soon as I saw the girls with the white bibs, I thought they were swedish...
smile.png
You mentioned he had pekins and another breed. We had Khaki Campbell ducks at our old place, and as far as I can remember they had greenish beaks like your girls. The girls can have a slightly darker neck/head with a "khaki" body, and the males resemble a mallard toned down
tongue.png
Maybe that's what the others were that he had. Have fun with your new girls!!

Not sure what your girls are but if the boys are pekin-muscovy cross then they will be mules. I have always heard that crossing the muscovy makes them infertile......

Hi Broke Down,

The first pic is of my boys, who are pure Muscovey. The four new ducks are the ones that are supposed to be Pekin/Muscovey cross, but I believe they are Pekin/Swedish cross. The mama was definitely a Jumbo Pekin hen. The guy I got them from said the dad was a duck that didn't live there with his Pekins, but came by long enough to be with the hen for awhile, apparently. He said that he was a fighter and fought off the Pekin drake in order to get to this hen! LOL It also eventually became friendly with the Pekins. Said it had a dark greenish head. He thought it was a Muscovey, but based on what the "girls" look like, several people here think they are Swedish mixes (bib and coloring).

So, now I am trying to figure out if the four new ducks are all girls, or if there are some drakes in there. I am afraid if there are drakes, then the Muscovey drakes will try and hurt/kill them when I put them together. Right now, they are separate until the new ducks get used to everything.

Thanks!
Kathy

Back
Top Bottom