Introducing females

cfko0531

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2022
I have a year old blue swiss drake and a pekin female. Have two 4 week old female pekin ducklings. When can I put them in with the male? I have seen some people do at 8 weeks and others not until 18 weeks. Any advice appreciated. My coop and run are set up to separate because he was hard my girl in breeding season.

It is best to wait till laying age so the drake doesn't mate with them before they are mature. You can put them side by side with fencing in between so they all get used to each other that will go a long way for when you can put them in with your two adults. I use a large dog crate inside my coop when introducing new ducks to my flock that way they can sleep with everyone and noone get raped or picked on.

My Runners were mating at 4 months and laying eggs at 4.5 months so I'd say some breeds mature quicker than others, my Muscovy have always been around 9 months old before mating began. My Runner drake didn't mature as fast as his girls so they were out begging my gander and my Muscovy drake to mate with them, thankfully neither boy took them up on it. Finally my Runner drake was ready.

Back
Top Bottom