Introducing new additions

Lisagramse

Hatching
Jun 17, 2016
Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me and offer advice. I have been raising chickens for four years now and have introduced two new group of chicks. For the most part everything has gone really well for me each time. We added six new chicks this year. We started them in the house and transitioned them to an isolated area of the coop about six weeks ago. We are now trying to give them access to the run. Everything seemed normal a couple of my older gals have been establishing pecking order and my new chicks have been quick to dodge and escape them when necessary. They are no longer picking on the new chicks except for one. That won't leave the poor girl alone. She now has missing feathers on her neck. I have isolated her into a separate run but is there anything I can do to help her join the flock? Feeling really lost here. Happy to share pictures of my setup looking forward to hearing from you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry one of them is not being excepted! Sounds like you are doing all you can. In cases like this, if I run into a problem like this, I separate out the bird that is causing the trouble instead of the one being picked on. This does a couple of things...not only does it give the little on a chance to figure out how things work and grow, but it keeps the bully out of the flock who is teaching all the others to be bullies too. I had to do this with my last chick additions and kept a bully caged on and off for months. She was just awful, literally stalking chicks and hurting them, one of them especially. It took her quite a long time to accept these new comers and she is fine now. But I find it does the entire flock good to isolate the bully, not the one being beaten up.

Pinless Peepers is always an option for the meanies. You can also start a new area and give the tiny bird a small flock in their own space. And even some people make house pets out of birds that can't fit in.

Eventually they do fit in, but you have to give them a chance. And I find letting them mix in without the bullies is the best way, at least for me has been.

Oh and make SURE to add more food and water stations. This is a MUST for new chicks. The older birds can starve them out of food and water. So several more places to eat and drink. The older birds can't guard all the areas.

Good luck with your babies!! And we do welcome you to our flock! :)

Oh and make sure the chicks are at least 3 months old before mixing them into an adult flock. They are still very fragile before this age and can get mortally wounded by a large hen, even if it's an accident. :)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! TwoCrows gave you some great advice above. Best of luck!

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I am so sorry one of them is not being excepted! Sounds like you are doing all you can. In cases like this, if I run into a problem like this, I separate out the bird that is causing the trouble instead of the one being picked on. This does a couple of things...not only does it give the little on a chance to figure out how things work and grow, but it keeps the bully out of the flock who is teaching all the others to be bullies too. I had to do this with my last chick additions and kept a bully caged on and off for months. She was just awful, literally stalking chicks and hurting them, one of them especially. It took her quite a long time to accept these new comers and she is fine now. But I find it does the entire flock good to isolate the bully, not the one being beaten up. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Pinless Peepers is always an option for the meanies. You can also start a new area and give the tiny bird a small flock in their own space. And even some people make house pets out of birds that can't fit in. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Eventually they do fit in, but you have to give them a chance. And I find letting them mix in without the bullies is the best way, at least for me has been.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Oh and make SURE to add more food and water stations. This is a MUST for new chicks. The older birds can starve them out of food and water. So several more places to eat and drink. The older birds can't guard all the areas.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Good luck with your babies!! And we do welcome you to our flock! :)[/COLOR]
[/quote

Wow what a great idea! I never thought about isolating her. Red is wonderfully nice to us but she is definitely my dominant lady.

If I have two or three that continually pick on my chick should I isolate the small group?

I will add more food/water stations too we typically give treats and food in the tunnel but I'm sure extra water would be great this time of year.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom