Introducing new bird

Capto Veritas

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
North Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
I have 1 Black Australorp hen and 1 RIR hen. I am new to chickens, so I have a small flock. They get along very well, and will not leave each other’s side. A month ago, I introduced the RIR to my Black Australorp, and everything worked out perfectly. I am thinking about some time down the road getting another hen. Probably a Buff Orpington or a Wyandotte. How would I introduce them? I have a small chicken coop, 76” x 36” x 48”, so I plan on having 3 chickens max, even though it recommends 6.

I have 1 Black Australorp hen and 1 RIR hen. I am new to chickens, so I have a small flock. They get along very well, and will not leave each other’s side. A month ago, I introduced the RIR to my Black Australorp, and everything worked out perfectly. I am thinking about some time down the road getting another hen. Probably a Buff Orpington or a Wyandotte. How would I introduce them? I have a small chicken coop, 76” x 36” x 48”, so I plan on having 3 chickens max, even though it recommends 6.
Don't do it.
Regardless what the literature states about occupancy, that is one teeny tiny coop even for the two you have.
If you want to grow your flock you need to first grow your coop and run to accommodate them.

Don't do it.
Regardless what the literature states about occupancy, that is one teeny tiny coop even for the two you have.
If you want to grow your flock you need to first grow your coop and run to accommodate them.
The problem is, I can’t. I can’t have the coop seen because farm animals aren’t allowed where we live. The HOA doesn’t really care about the rules, but I am just being careful. I think I can squeeze in another small chicken.

The problem is, I can’t. I can’t have the coop seen because farm animals aren’t allowed where we live. The HOA doesn’t really care about the rules, but I am just being careful. I think I can squeeze in another small chicken.
I think it's a very bad idea. It will be VERY hard to integrate a single bird in with a bonded pair in such small quarters. The lone bird may very well get seriously injured or killed.

I think it's a very bad idea. It will be VERY hard to integrate a single bird in with a bonded pair in such small quarters. The lone bird may very well get seriously injured or killed.
You are probably right. I am just questioning myself because my 2 chickens are some of the sweetest. The Black Australorp breed is one of the friendliest out there, and my RIR is very small for her size.

You are probably right. I am just questioning myself because my 2 chickens are some of the sweetest. The Black Australorp breed is one of the friendliest out there, and my RIR is very small for her size.
They are sweet to each other. I've watched many integrations in my own flock. It's brutal business. You just aren't ready for that.
You can try but based on my experience it will be bad for you and the birds. Ultimately it's up to you.

They are sweet to each other.
It sounds like you have a perfect arrangement right now. Enjoy what you have.

Back
Top Bottom