Introducing new chickens in new coop

Saraandaaron

Chirping
Aug 9, 2020
I have built a new coop and i plan to introduce two new chickens to two existing chickens. All four will be in the new coop for the first time at the same time. All are roughly the same age but the two new pullets are slightly smaller. Do I need to keep them separated? Even though it’s a new environment for everybody. There are four birds total. Two “old” and two “new”.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I’d put the 4 ones in the coop and put the 2 new ones in a big cage so the 4 ones can get used to the new ones and then after a few days you can let the 2 ones out fully.

I’d put the 4 ones in the coop and put the 2 new ones in a big cage so the 4 ones can get used to the new ones and then after a few days you can let the 2 ones out fully.
There are four in total. Two “old” and two “new”. Would you still separate?

There are four in total. Two “old” and two “new”. Would you still separate?
Oh sorry I misread. Yes I’d still seperate because they are new birds and chickens can be mean to new birds. If they’re roughly the same size they shouldn’t be separated for too long. Maybe 3-4 days and of course monitoring to see how much the old ones try to peck them

You *may* be able to get away with integrating them via putting both old and new birds into a new coop simultaneously - it's neutral ground so it should lessen any territorial fighting. But no guarantees when it comes to living animals.

If you do choose to try going that route, I'd keep an eye on them as much as possible to ensure things go well, and plan on having the pop door open first thing in the morning, if you aren't going to have it open at night for security reasons.

Back
Top Bottom