Introducing New Chickens

5SweetChicks

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
Michigan
I have one older chick who was getting quite lonely and starting to think she/he was a human. I have recently bought 4 new chicks about half the age and size of the older one. We have them in separate pens because the older one was pecking the younger ones. Right now they are in a place where the older one can see the younger ones if she/he is on her/his perch. Almost everyday we take them out, set them on a cloth and put their food out there and bring them all out together. The bigger one still seems to pick on them. Will she/he just get used to the younger ones or will they have to be separate for their whole life? (Being separate won't be a problem if it turns out to be a rooster because he would just go to another farm.)

How old are they?

She's just establishing to them that she's above them in the pecking order. Totally normal. If they have been in sight of each other for about a week, then put them all together at night. There will still be some bullying and pecking, but there is only 1 of her and 4 of them. Make sure they have plenty of room.

Thank you. We do not have an outdoor area for them to free range yet because its cold. I do let them out all together with lots of space for about an hour everyday. The oldest one is almost 4 weeks now and the younger ones are 2 weeks. They have only been in sight of each other for about 3 days.

Thank you. We do not have an outdoor area for them to free range yet because its cold. I do let them out all together with lots of space for about an hour everyday. The oldest one is almost 4 weeks now and the younger ones are 2 weeks. They have only been in sight of each other for about 3 days.

Okay, I suspected they were young. At that age, it's easy just to put them together. The younger they are, the easier it is. It gets trickier when they get much older, like over a year old.

Back
Top Bottom