windingwaypoultry

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2022
Nevada City, CA
Hi Guys!

We have a Buff Orpington named Lemon who went broody for the first time a few weeks ago. Our local Tractor Supply had Lavender Orpington chicks in stock so I purchased 6 to see if Lemon would be their surrogate mother. She was pretty darn mean as a broody hen so I snuck in after dark and slipped the chicks under her wing and removed the unfertilized eggs she was sitting on. She took to them instantly and has been a fantastic mama. Unfortunately, on day 2 we found 2 of the chicks had died. It looks like they were under Lemon and were most likely smothered.

She has now had the 4 surviving chicks for a week and we would like to add a few more chicks to the flock. If I were to purchase more is there be a good chance that Lemon would happily adopt them too if I did the same introduction process? or has it been too long since her other chicks have "hatched"?

Thanks for all your help! Here's a pic of Lemon with her babies :)

Attachments

• IMG-2844.jpg
    IMG-2844.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 38
Hi Guys!

We have a Buff Orpington named Lemon who went broody for the first time a few weeks ago. Our local Tractor Supply had Lavender Orpington chicks in stock so I purchased 6 to see if Lemon would be their surrogate mother. She was pretty darn mean as a broody hen so I snuck in after dark and slipped the chicks under her wing and removed the unfertilized eggs she was sitting on. She took to them instantly and has been a fantastic mama. Unfortunately, on day 2 we found 2 of the chicks had died. It looks like they were under Lemon and were most likely smothered.

She has now had the 4 surviving chicks for a week and we would like to add a few more chicks to the flock. If I were to purchase more is there be a good chance that Lemon would happily adopt them too if I did the same introduction process? or has it been too long since her other chicks have "hatched"?

Most likely she will not accept them.

I agree….don’t do it. You should put all the chicks in at one time, otherwise she will think they belong to another hen. Wait for another broody hen, to add more chicks, or wait for this hen to go broody again. Good luck!

Hi Guys!

Awww sweet! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom