Introducing new chicks to existing chicks

Chiggums

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2022
Hi! First time chicken owner here. I have 5 chicks ranging from 5-8 weeks in age and I want to add 2 more around the same age to complete my flock. I've had the current chicks since the youngest was a few days old, they have all received the Marek's vaccine, and they've been kept in an indoor brooder without exposure to any other chicks or the outside world.

1. The farm I'm looking to get the new chicks from is a different farm than the one my current chicks came from, and they do not vaccinate their chicks. The new chicks would be around 5 weeks old now. Is it ok to bring the new seemingly healthy, unvaccinated chicks in with my current chicks? (I think I know the answer but want to confirm)

2. Assuming it's safe to bring in the new ones, I assume there should still be a period of quarantine. How long do chicks at this age need to be quarantined for?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! First time chicken owner here. I have 5 chicks ranging from 5-8 weeks in age and I want to add 2 more around the same age to complete my flock. I've had the current chicks since the youngest was a few days old, they have all received the Marek's vaccine, and they've been kept in an indoor brooder without exposure to any other chicks or the outside world.

1. The farm I'm looking to get the new chicks from is a different farm than the one my current chicks came from, and they do not vaccinate their chicks. The new chicks would be around 5 weeks old now. Is it ok to bring the new seemingly healthy, unvaccinated chicks in with my current chicks? (I think I know the answer but want to confirm)

2. Assuming it's safe to bring in the new ones, I assume there should still be a period of quarantine. How long do chicks at this age need to be quarantined for?

Thanks in advance!
Hey there, im in a similar situation and can use some advice as well.

1. Obvious risk is if the birds get Marek's, the unvaccinated ones will be more likely to die, but if you've never had chickens on your lot I'd think the risk is pretty minimal, especially with chicks.

2. If you're truly going to quarantine it'd still be a 30 day period. If you cannot do a true quarantine (i.e. lack of space), then don't bother.

If this was me, assuming the farm you're buying from has birds that are well kept and healthy, I would skip quarantine in favor of a faster integration. If all the birds are the same age range it's very likely they'll accept each other without going through much of an integration period, since they're still young enough that their pecking order is more fluid.

1. Obvious risk is if the birds get Marek's, the unvaccinated ones will be more likely to die, but if you've never had chickens on your lot I'd think the risk is pretty minimal, especially with chicks.

2. If you're truly going to quarantine it'd still be a 30 day period. If you cannot do a true quarantine (i.e. lack of space), then don't bother.

If this was me, assuming the farm you're buying from has birds that are well kept and healthy, I would skip quarantine in favor of a faster integration. If all the birds are the same age range it's very likely they'll accept each other without going through much of an integration period, since they're still young enough that their pecking order is more fluid.
Thank you! This is helpful insight, I appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom