Introducing New Chicks to my Flock

amberruments

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
So recently I had a chicken pass away from a dog bite so now I am left with one chicken. We just brought home to 3-4 week old chicks who are staying in the house until they are ready to go outside. Everyday I have brought the chicks oitside to show muc chicken so she can hopefully get used to them. Every time she sees them, she extends her wings. I don’t know if this is a sign of dominance, but how can I get her okay with them being around her?

How long do you keep the chicks out there each time you take them out? If the visits are brief she's not really getting enough time to get used to their presence so doesn't know what to think of them.

I start letting my chicks mingle with adults when the adult lose interest in them, which can take a week or two.

Depending on what your set up looks like, you can try integrating early, to take advantage of the fact the chicks are so much smaller and can hide in spots the hen can't get into. My set up for early integration: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

So recently I had a chicken pass away from a dog bite so now I am left with one chicken. We just brought home to 3-4 week old chicks who are staying in the house until they are ready to go outside. Everyday I have brought the chicks oitside to show muc chicken so she can hopefully get used to them. Every time she sees them, she extends her wings. I don’t know if this is a sign of dominance, but how can I get her okay with them being around her?
You don’t need to put vulnerable baby chicks together with any animals. The hen could suddenly peck one of their eyes out. Chickens will kill chicks.

How long do you keep the chicks out there each time you take them out? If the visits are brief she's not really getting enough time to get used to their presence so doesn't know what to think of them.

I start letting my chicks mingle with adults when the adult lose interest in them, which can take a week or two.

Depending on what your set up looks like, you can try integrating early, to take advantage of the fact the chicks are so much smaller and can hide in spots the hen can't get into. My set up for early integration: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
They are about 6-7 weeks old now and they stay outside all day and then we bring them in at night. We have a little enclosed area they stay in where my other chicken can watch them. Every time I show her a chick, she kind of seems aggressive. I won’t let her get close enough to the point where she can peck but she will run at them. They have been outside in there enclosed area for probably 2 weeks now.

You don’t need to put vulnerable baby chicks together with any animals. The hen could suddenly peck one of their eyes out. Chickens will kill chicks.
I know that but they are out of reach from my chicken. I’m just trying to get her used to them from a distance.

They are about 6-7 weeks old now and they stay outside all day and then we bring them in at night. We have a little enclosed area they stay in where my other chicken can watch them. Every time I show her a chick, she kind of seems aggressive. I won’t let her get close enough to the point where she can peck but she will run at them. They have been outside in there enclosed area for probably 2 weeks now.
Might try putting the older bird in the chicks area and let the chicks explore the main coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom