Introducing new chicks???

Ducky13

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
I have recently bought a moscovy duckling (two weeks old) to accompany my one week old duckling and I put them in their area together and my original duck has started to beat up the new duck, such as biting its beak and pulling the feather. I am very unsure of what to do because I don't want them to be fighting all the time or have it turn into a worse issue

I have recently bought a moscovy duckling (two weeks old) to accompany my one week old duckling and I put them in their area together and my original duck has started to beat up the new duck, such as biting its beak and pulling the feather. I am very unsure of what to do because I don't want them to be fighting all the time or have it turn into a worse issue
Separate them but let them still be able to see each other. After a week or so, then put them back together. Good luck.

Separate with wire so they can get used to each other and only put together supervised...Try taking them outside for play time so they will look to each other for comfort....Its amazing how quickly they will decide they are friends when put into a different setting...Have water bowls out and soon they will follow each other around.....:frow

Well, with chicks, I keep them in the grow out box until they are feathered out. I usually have enough to introduce that there is an initial attack by the lead rooster, but when they determine there are too many to contend with, they give up the attack. Like a little school of fish, the new chicks will run to one side or another and huddle together until they eventually integrate, and all is forgotten.

As a reminder, chicks cannot eat layer pellets until they are almost sexually mature and become pullets, the same nutrients in layer pellets will shut down the kidneys and kill young chicks. So, for awhile, your shells from your hens might be a little less dense without the calcium, but on the upshot your chicks shouldn't die from it.

Back
Top Bottom