Introducing New Girls

Ruffian

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
I currently have 2 girls (1 Rhode Island Red and 1 White Leghorn) They are 1 year old....I am picking up 2 White Leghorns tomorrow...that are about the same age. What is the best way to introduce the NEW girls to the girls I've had since day-olds. I let them free-range during the day and at dusk they automatically go in their house. Any advice would be appreciated.

First i would quaruntine for atleast a few days. Then i try to keep my new birds in a cage or run where the other girls can see and talk to them.. Then I have just allowed my new birds to free range with the old ones.. Break up any major fights and the new chickens "should " go into the coop at night with the others...

You first need to quarantine them away from your flock for 30 days or so to allow any disease to (hopefully) rear its ugly head and to treat for lice and worm them. If all goes well, then what CoopCrazy said would be the best way, put them where they can see but not touch each other for a few days, then let them out together and watch the feathers fly.

Back
Top Bottom