Introducing new ladies!

Yes, that would be a factor.
I think I will keep them in the crate and periodically let them all free range so the girls are preoccupied and continue to get to know each other.

then I’m going to move their nesting box to a corner so the girls can hide behind there if they have to and I’ll put food and water back there as well.

there’s a lot of roosting bars so they shouldn’t need anymore of those and hopefully at night they’ll all rest and not bully.

Do you think the new birds would be okay in that crate for 1-2 weeks though?! It’s a 36 inch dog crate. I wish I had a second coop or bigger run for them but unfortunately I do not and I don’t have the space to make one
A bit tight and not ideal, but preferable to having them get injured from a too-quick integration.

The reality is your coop/run is small for the number of birds you currently have, and integration favors having even more space. Which is why adding clutter will be difficult. Since you mentioned you're willing to let the older ones free range, that'd be a good time to let the younger ones explore the run without harassment. Once you're ready to actually let them meet face to face, free ranging will also give the new arrivals more chance to run away if needed if the others are pecking at them.

A bit tight and not ideal, but preferable to having them get injured from a too-quick integration.

The reality is your coop/run is small for the number of birds you currently have, and integration favors having even more space. Which is why adding clutter will be difficult. Since you mentioned you're willing to let the older ones free range, that'd be a good time to let the younger ones explore the run without harassment. Once you're ready to actually let them meet face to face, free ranging will also give the new arrivals more chance to run away if needed if the others are pecking at them.
I thought it was 10 sq ft per bird? I’ve been out there with them today and there’s a whiting true blue that is definitely the bully.

I thought it was 10 sq ft per bird? I’ve been out there with them today and there’s a whiting true blue that is definitely the bully.
10 sq ft per bird is the minimum recommendation on here, but a lot of us aim for more sq ft per bird as more space = fewer behavioral issues.

Integration is a bit different than dealing with an established flock. Older or dominant or bully birds expect newcomers to give way to them. To avoid conflict, birds need to be able to put about 6' between themselves and a pursuer (or they can use clutter to break line of sight to stop the chase), but that can be difficult in a smaller run as there's just not as much space to work with.

My clutter does eat up quite a bit of floor space (and obviously I have a larger set up) but just as an example:
obstacles2021.jpg

The fact that it's difficult for me to catch a bird that doesn't want to be picked up, due to all the obstacles, verifies that the clutter works as intended.

10 sq ft per bird is the minimum recommendation on here, but a lot of us aim for more sq ft per bird as more space = fewer behavioral issues.

Integration is a bit different than dealing with an established flock. Older or dominant or bully birds expect newcomers to give way to them. To avoid conflict, birds need to be able to put about 6' between themselves and a pursuer (or they can use clutter to break line of sight to stop the chase), but that can be difficult in a smaller run as there's just not as much space to work with.

My clutter does eat up quite a bit of floor space (and obviously I have a larger set up) but just as an example:
View attachment 2847722
The fact that it's difficult for me to catch a bird that doesn't want to be picked up, due to all the obstacles, verifies that the clutter works as intended.
Oh very interesting!!! I love the blue print. Luckily I’m moving in the next year and the girls will have a huge new home when I do!

I’ll continue to keep in the crate for the time being and when I can sit out there and open their door I will. I appreciate all the help!

Back
Top Bottom