introducing new muscovys

chicksonline

Songster
Mar 14, 2017
hello,

i have a male and female muscovy (8 months) and i’m getting 2 new females on friday, they are 14 weeks old and i have been told i should separate the drake from the hens as he could kill them with mating?
i can’t imagine that being possible is this true and should i separate my drake away from the newbies?

how do i seperate?, in a differnt house or just fenced off for a bit and how long?
You could section off a bit with some chicken wire. That way they could see each other but still be safe. Either would wok though.
I would separate them for about a week, then let them out together while being supervised during the day. After doing this for a few days, if they get along well, then you can let him out all day. If they do good then you can let the drake be with them all the time.

You could section off a bit with some chicken wire. That way they could see each other but still be safe. Either would wok though.
I would separate them for about a week, then let them out together while being supervised during the day. After doing this for a few days, if they get along well, then you can let him out all day. If they do good then you can let the drake be with them all the time.
what about when i’m putting them to bed do i put him in a separate house, they are down the allotment so i wouldent be able to watch them all day, does it always take this long??

what about when i’m putting them to bed do i put him in a separate house, they are down the allotment so i wouldent be able to watch them all day, does it always take this long??
If you think it would be easier to put him in a different house then you could do that instead. I guess it depends on the setup. If you could just watch them for an hour, maybe 2-3 times a day, that would work. I've never actually done this before- just read about it

I’ve never had a muscovy drake rape a young female saying that it could very well happen,usually mating starts at around 4 mo then egg laying begins shortly after this is most domestics . With my Muscovy they don’t even start mating an laying until 8-9 months old. Best to do in your situation is to have a secure shelter for your new ones so everyone can meet an greet but no one gets picked on or raped and your girls will have a few more weeks before mating starts

I’ve never had a muscovy drake rape a young female saying that it could very well happen,usually mating starts at around 4 mo then egg laying begins shortly after this is most domestics . With my Muscovy they don’t even start mating an laying until 8-9 months old. Best to do in your situation is to have a secure shelter for your new ones so everyone can meet an greet but no one gets picked on or raped and your girls will have a few more weeks before mating starts
i have another rabbit hutch thing i can bring that down and put into the run and keep them separated during the day it’s just nights i don’t know what to do

Back
Top Bottom