introducing new roosters

Mother of All

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Millbrook
Hey last week was the ending of the 4 week separation for my two new roosters. I kept them totally separate for 3 weeks then I pulled the diver out from between them so they could see the other hens and roosters when i put them together my black giant faced off with one of them and drew blood on his back so i pulled crow (my black giant) out for a few days were he could see but not get to anyone else. Today I put him back into the run and he faced off with the other new one and got him bleeding from his head. at this moment I have crow in my arms and we are asking. how long do you let them go at it? I take it that blood is normal but when crow gets them to turn and run crow just keeps after them. I didn't let this go more then five min after i saw each of the new ones turn and run but. how long should i let it go. even after i see blood?

If he keeps drawing blood from them and doesn't give up on chasing then I don't think it's possible to keep them together. Some roosters are just not compatible.

How many birds do you have and how much space? Why are you adding new roosters? Can the new roos get away from the old roo? Need more info.

I let them go 10 or 15 minutes to establish rank. Damage that concerns me most is with aggression where subordinate can not get away during the period immediately following fight when victor is particularly aggressive. It is the after fight aggression that seems to damage feathers the most.

I have a new batch of chicks that are 14 weeks old now. There are 24 hens and 1 rooster in that bunch. They're in next to the "old" gals, 6 hens and a rooster who are all about 2 years old. I was hoping to let them all be together when I switch the chicks to layer. Up until recently, the older rooster didn't pay much attention to the younger rooster. But now the teenager is crowing and trying his hand at mating which is stirring up the older rooster. He is trying to get through the fence to get the that whipper snipper. I've been letting them all be together in the evenings and the older rooster, Prince, does chase and beat up Sambo a bit but then Sambo gets away and Prince backs off. I let them all together today for the first time and they are doing okay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom