Introducing new young birds to the flock

certifiedchef

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
Carmichael
Forgive this question, as I am sure it has been asked and answered before. However.... I have 2 older gals - 5 yrs old or so, last April we brought home 2 more chicks. They are now pushing 4 months old, I have moved them into a large pen that connects to the chicken run and have attempted to introduce them several times. IT is never good, the older birds will either chase them into the corner or stroll in and eat their food while the babies huddle in the corner.
When out in the yard free ranging all the girls are fine and the old ones leave the new ones alone.
We are ok now, but I need to find a way to get them to be happy together as the new ones are not protected from the cold or rain in their temporary home.

thoughts? suggestions? help?

thanks!

David
Carmichael, CA

Last edited:
It looks really brutal, but seems to be something you just have to let them work out. As long as no blood is drawn or excessive picking occurs, they will eventually form a flock. It can take over a week. Neutral territory is best for introductions, but like you are finding, they become territorial in the coop/run, so focus your energies there.

First, make sure there is enough room for all 4. You may need to expand if they are too crowded. Put in a second food dish and a second waterer so the old ones cannot guard as easily. After that, change things up in the run. Add a low roost or a stump- somewhere the new pullets can get away or hide. You can try a swing, old ladder or chair, stacked cinder blocks, whatever you have around that will fit.

Distractions will divert their attentions away from the new girls, and just about any change in the coop will be very distracting, especially if it involves food. Hang a cabbage, toss in some kale leaves or a chunk of alfalfa, get a flock block- just about anything new that requires investigating and a bit of work to consume. This is particularly effective if you put the new items in after the birds have gone to roost for the night, and just like Christmas morning, they wake up to a wonderful surprise! You can put the new birds on the roost after dark, and often they are accepted more readily in the morning, but more so if you have added a few strategic distractions.

If, after a week or 2, none of this works or the new ones are being injured, remove your dominant hen (the one doing most of the picking) for a week or so to let the other 3 bond and form a pecking order before reintroducing. Or remove and isolate both older hens for awhile and reintroduce them one at a time. That way the younger ones have strength in numbers. I doubt it will come to this. I've introduced new birds 5 or 6 times over the last few years and found I just have to grit my teeth and give them time to work out a new flock dynamic. But distractions reeealy help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom