1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing pullets to new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sakmeht, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    My girls will be 7 weeks this coming Wednesday and the new coop will be finished. The nesting boxes are only a couple inches higher than the floor (closed top) and for some reason I'm paranoid about them sleeping in them. I was thinking I'd cover up the entrances to the boxes until they are closer to laying age, thus getting them used to roosting on the roost. They already roost just fine in the run I have them in now, so I think this will work out. Thoughts?

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yes close the boxes off, and put them on the coop roosts the first few nights, if they don't do it by them selves...how fun a new coop. [​IMG]

3. totallytang

totallytang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    nj
    I think they will be fine : ) with whatever you decide. I just put my new 8wk old babies outside two weeks ago and they are just starting to nest in their box the last few nights… I got them to do this by going out there every night and putting them in the box…

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by