Introducing Pullets WITH Pullets

I hate introducing new girls! I had to do it a few months ago, introduced 3 (may have been 2 months old? at the time) to 1 who was a year old. Still having problems with them. The older one sometimes won't let the other 3 in to roost at night or if she does she goes after them in the coop (the 3 are about 16 weeks old now). And here I go again. I have 12 - 5 week olds out in with them now but I keep them seperate, either the older girls are out free ranging and I let the babies out in the run or I keep the babies in a pen in the run so they can all see each other. I have had the babies out in the coop/run for over a week now, at night I put them in cat carriers and set them in the coop. I have not let the babies free range. How old should they be when I let them all out together? I am worried that the oldest one will hurt the babies. I am almost ready to seperate her for several days to see if that would help but I think she would pitch a fit! Oh what fun! This was supposed to be the easy summer with no new girls! so much for that...but I do love my new girls!!

mine at least will be the same age & size (i'll need to do another introduction of different ages in september or so, as i'm getting four baby chicks in early august), so i'm hoping that will help -- thanks for the suggestions! and wish me luck, i'll be picking up the one (or two) new pullet(s) tomorrow...

best,
laura

I'm in a similar situation. I'd like to pick up two more chickens to add to my two 6 week old pullets. I can either pick up chickens of a similar age or go with chicks and raise them in a brooder separately. We just finished their outdoor housing this weekend, so we're planning on moving the original pair outside as soon as we get a break in the heat. The outdoor run is 10'x20' with a 4'x4' coop.

My question is: Would it be better to introduce similar age pullets at the same time as their move outside OR move the original pair outside and raise chicks inside for introduction later?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Just an update:

I went ahead and bought two new pullets that were approximately the same age as our original two. We introduced them in their new outdoor run all at the same time and everything went swimmingly. A few pecks, a few flapped wings and everybody is getting along fine.

Just an update:

I went ahead and bought two new pullets that were approximately the same age as our original two. We introduced them in their new outdoor run all at the same time and everything went swimmingly. A few pecks, a few flapped wings and everybody is getting along fine.

oh, i forgot to update, too! the first introduction of two pullets, each a different breed (a delaware & an australorp) & coming from a difference source, to the original marans went mostly fine; the marans were a bit bullyish, esp. toward the australorp who is smaller than everyone else, BUT the delaware TOTALLY took the little one under her wing, literally, and acted far more like mama than a 6-week-old pullet. both new girls were lower in the pecking order than the marans, but generally got along fine.

then a week later i got two silver penciled plymouth rocks, also of the same age, and for whatever reason, they immediately went to the TOP of the pecking order, bossing everyone else around -- and interestingly, the marans stopped bossing the two "lower" birds, perhaps now that they had a taste of their own medicine? the SPPRs are still dominant, but most of the pecking and fluffing has settled down & all six hang out together quite easily most of the time.

thanks for all the suggestions here!
laura

I have a question as a newbie. I have 6-10 day old RIR and ISA Browns. We just got 10 Plymouth Barred Rock Pullets that are about 5 days old. They’re both sitting here in 80 gallon plastic tubs. I’m wondering if I should introduce them? But, I’m afraid the older girls will hurt the younger ones. Any thoughts?

I have a question as a newbie. I have 6-10 day old RIR and ISA Browns. We just got 10 Plymouth Barred Rock Pullets that are about 5 days old. They’re both sitting here in 80 gallon plastic tubs. I’m wondering if I should introduce them? But, I’m afraid the older girls will hurt the younger ones. Any thoughts?
I would try to put them together....given enough space at that age it should go pretty good.
80 gallon tub is probably not big enough tho.
Is your coop built yet?
What are you using for heat?

I would try to put them together....given enough space at that age it should go pretty good.
80 gallon tub is probably not big enough tho.
Is your coop built yet?
What are you using for heat?
Hi! My coop isn’t built yet, no. For heat, I’m using a brooder, like the tractor supply ones. You can lay is flat or we’ve been standing it upright and a red light for the younger ones. We keep it far away from them. My plan is for the coop- we have a smaller horse stall. Turn that into the coop, with a run on the outside and a gifted area on the inside. Cover the open spaces with chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom