Wyandotte pullets too young to introduce to Roo?

Shananana

Hatching
May 10, 2024
Hey everyone! I have a older hen and Roo over a yr old. I also have (3)11Week old Silv. Laced Wyandottes
I didn’t know the pullets where such late bloomers when I got them. I was wanting to know, will there be an issue having a mature Roo pouncing on the girls so soon before they lay. I wish I had done more research before getting them as I wanted my hen to have some family as her sisters passed. I hate keeping the pullets separate in the smaller pen. Anyone experienced with this? Thanks

Hey everyone! I have a older hen and Roo over a yr old. I also have (3)11Week old Silv. Laced Wyandottes
I didn’t know the pullets where such late bloomers when I got them. I was wanting to know, will there be an issue having a mature Roo pouncing on the girls so soon before they lay. I wish I had done more research before getting them as I wanted my hen to have some family as her sisters passed. I hate keeping the pullets separate in the smaller pen. Anyone experienced with this? Thanks
It will probably depend on the rooster. Some roosters can be very good about recognizing which pullets are too young, other roosters not so much.

I think you will have to just try it, under supervision, and see how your specific rooster behaves.

Do you have the pullets in a pen next to the adult chickens? If so, they should have already started to get acquainted through the sides of the pen. You could switch things around, so the pullets are in the main pen and the adult chickens are in the small pen. That would let the pullets become familiar with their new home. Then try letting the adult pair into the main pen again, or even let in just one of the adults, and the other a day or so later. Watch how things go. It might be completely fine, or one of the adults might chase the pullets around a little bit, or a lot, or try to seriously injure them. Different adult chickens can behave very differently with new additions, so you will not know what yours do until you watch and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom