Introducing single incubated hen to existing flock

KHuddo

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2018
Gold Coast
My daughter incubated some eggs about 10 weeks ago and we only had one successful hatch, this chicken (presumably a hen) has been kept separate to the flock for the past 10 weeks I would like to introduce it but am not sure how without a fight. Current flock is 1 rooster and 2 hens.

I have a little pen on the outside of my chicken coop and the chicken wire in between them. I put them in every morning and move it to its regular home for the night for about a week. I try to wait till 15weeks but with such a small flock it may be fine at that age. Keep a good watch on them for the first little while after the are in the same pen together . I hope you have good success.

Thank you for the advise. my "flock" are pretty much free range around our property. (They go back to their pen each night) when I do introduce, should I lock them all in the pen or do the introduction when they are roaming free?

Welcome to BYC!

Where has this single chick been living for the past 10 weeks?
Do you have a run?
How big is your coop and run in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would rally help

This article might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

....and here's some Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Welcome to BYC!

Where has this single chick been living for the past 10 weeks?
Do you have a run?
How big is your coop and run in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would rally help

This article might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

....and here's some Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock
Thank you for the info.
My coop is about 2.5meters x 1.8meters (sorry I don't do feet ) it consists of a "ladder" up to 2 nest boxes and it has 2 timber roosts that span the width of the coop. The flock spends the day roaming our 3 acre property and only go back to the coop to roost/lay. The chicken has been in rabbit hutch type setup away from the other coop but the rest of the chooks "visit" her quite regularly. Would it be best to lock them all in the coop for the first introduction, or to leave them roaming the paddock?

6x8'( I have a converter program) Plenty for 4 birds.

I'd put the singles coop near the main coop, then let them roam the paddock together.

Back
Top Bottom