Introducing: The Hippy Chick Egg Farm

My first weekend with my new chicks has passed. It was great and I enjoyed every moment I spent with them. On Sunday, I noticed one chick with a good bit of poop stuck to her butt. So I checked all of them and found 4 that needed to be cleaned. It was a fairly easy thing to go... just run under warm water until it softened enough to flow away easily. No more pasty butt.

Before:
B46734A3-CDA5-4352-BCC5-AB9C89176039.jpeg

After:
5085CA92-BDB2-4AB8-A25B-29FE8A8077FD.jpeg

Also, I unfortunately lost two chicks. I thinks it's common to lose a couple. These two appeared weaker and I wasn't surprised when I found them dead. Hoover's gave me a refund for those 2 chicks... so that was nice.

I visit my chicks several times throughout the day so they will get used to me and not be so fearful when I come around. They also lift my spirits every time I see them.

I was hesitant about starting with chicks, but I am so glad I did!

Last edited:
I NEVER wanted chicks. I was willing to pay 10 time more for pullets. Now, I'm glad I went the chick route.

Maybe I'm the odd one, I loved having chicks :D They are so cute, it's a lot of fun seeing them learn new things and watching them change. That chick time period goes fast so enjoy it as much as you can!

I’m feeling really bad now thinking about how my chicks used to be all over me. They had no fear at all. Now they run when they see me coming. It didn’t occur to me that I was doing them harm when I grabbed them to administer a poop removal service. I now see I was exhibiting areal threat-like motions. I feel like I’ve damaged our relationship. I’ve received suggestions on how to try to rebuild the trust, but I hate that I didn’t realize the damage I was causing. My boyfriend thinks I’m in too deep. He even thinks removing the poop to prevent pasty butt is going to far, but I know it is necessary for the survival and health of my chicks. I just wish I had gone about it differently. They have food and water so I may skip a coop visit today to keep from stressing them. Just monitor via the coop cam. That makes me a little sad, though.

I’m feeling really bad now thinking about how my chicks used to be all over me. They had no fear at all. Now they run when they see me coming. It didn’t occur to me that I was doing them harm when I grabbed them to administer a poop removal service. I now see I was exhibiting areal threat-like motions. I feel like I’ve damaged our relationship. I’ve received suggestions on how to try to rebuild the trust, but I hate that I didn’t realize the damage I was causing. My boyfriend thinks I’m in too deep. He even thinks removing the poop to prevent pasty butt is going to far, but I know it is necessary for the survival and health of my chicks. I just wish I had gone about it differently. They have food and water so I may skip a coop visit today to keep from stressing them. Just monitor via the coop cam. That makes me a little sad, though.

When they have pasty butt, poop removal is necessary. I don't think any permanent damage has happened, they're just going through a phase and now that you know how to approach them they'll get over their skittishness. It just takes time, patience and handling them. Don't be discouraged!

Don’t worry.. they will come around... I have grabbed mine as that was the only way of catching them at times! They all eventually come to trust you unless they just tend to be flighty. I have had some that I was very hands on with and now the way my setup is.. I don’t get to handle them at all.. but once they integrate into the big space then they start to come to me on their own. Once yours are in a bigger space then I would suggest just sitting in there with them as much as you can.. they will start to come to you! And especially if you have treats! For now, just keep doing what you’re doing.. sit next to their coop and talk with them.. they will come to trust you! You haven’t caused any damage.. they are just behaving instinctually.

Back
Top Bottom