Introducing: The Hippy Chick Egg Farm

^^ Ditto!

When I first had chicks and was dying to give them treats (but it was too early), I mixed some of their feed with water and held it out in my palm on the floor of the coop. At first they were afraid of me, but eventually one, then all, came over and found out it was good stuff. I got a sore back from waiting, but it was worth it. I found out the key was to hold very still. I ended up putting folded up towels on the floor as padding for my knees, and that helped.

It felt like getting tapped with a bunch of dull pencils. :lau They loved it. So did I.

So I'm starting anew. I had 7 beautiful chickens that I was super proud of. Within a couple of months, I had to cull my flock due to LT (Infectious Laryngotracheitis). My chicken yard has been cleared (by the state extension program) and now I'm ready to get started again. I ordered chicks from Hoover's and I received my email yesterday saying they are on their way. I am so excited as I missed the company and entertainment my previous flock had been.

So today is D Day minus 1... or should I say C Day -1... that's Chick Day. I updated my prefab coop to make it more study and turn it into more of a coop that can be used to brood these 15 new chicks.

This thread will be my blog as I document this journey. Sometimes, you just want to share with like-minded people. I hope you will follow along with me and my Hippy Chicks!

Welcome back to Chickenland!

Don’t worry.. they will come around... I have grabbed mine as that was the only way of catching them at times! They all eventually come to trust you unless they just tend to be flighty. I have had some that I was very hands on with and now the way my setup is.. I don’t get to handle them at all.. but once they integrate into the big space then they start to come to me on their own. Once yours are in a bigger space then I would suggest just sitting in there with them as much as you can.. they will start to come to you! And especially if you have treats! For now, just keep doing what you’re doing.. sit next to their coop and talk with them.. they will come to trust you! You haven’t caused any damage.. they are just behaving instinctually.
Thank you so much for that encouragement. It makes me feel so much better. It's nice to have a community to talk to as my boyfriend and mother think I'm a little cuckoo. I am... cuckoo for Marans, that is! lol

^^ Ditto!

When I first had chicks and was dying to give them treats (but it was too early), I mixed some of their feed with water and held it out in my palm on the floor of the coop. At first they were afraid of me, but eventually one, then all, came over and found out it was good stuff. I got a sore back from waiting, but it was worth it. I found out the key was to hold very still. I ended up putting folded up towels on the floor as padding for my knees, and that helped.

It felt like getting tapped with a bunch of dull pencils. :lau They loved it. So did I.
That sounds like a great idea. I will do that Saturday when I have plenty of time. I can think of worse ways to spend a Saturday... like putting out weed killer... wait! I need to do that too... lol

@ThatTeowonna how are your chicks doing? Hope all is going well!
Thanks so much for asking. They seem to be doing very well... eating, drinks, and pooping! I noticed one yesterday with some poop on the butt, so I will have to take care of that today (scooping, not grabbing). I also have some moisture inside the coop that I have to take care of. So far, only 3 of the 15 didn’t make it, so I’m ok with that. They should be far enough along now to be more stable. Then again, it hasn’t been a week yet, but I’m feeling more confident. I have some bonding time scheduled for this weekend.

Thanks so much for asking. They seem to be doing very well... eating, drinks, and pooping! I noticed one yesterday with some poop on the butt, so I will have to take care of that today (scooping, not grabbing). I also have some moisture inside the coop that I have to take care of. So far, only 3 of the 15 didn’t make it, so I’m ok with that. They should be far enough along now to be more stable. Then again, it hasn’t been a week yet, but I’m feeling more confident. I have some bonding time scheduled for this weekend.

Thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom