Introducing two (maybe 3) cockerels to older cockerel

Jul 23, 2022
Western MD
Thanks to TSC, I am on my third batch of 3 Australorps. First batch was straight run, all cockerels - my fault, but the next two batches were supposed to be pullets. Also have an ISA Brown that was supposed to be a light brahma, but she's a friendly little bugger so no big deal. This will be the problem... I am positive I have at least two cockerels out of the three australorps again and possibly the third one as well. I'm now concerned about introducing them (at 6-7 weeks old to the rest of our flock that is 16 weeks old with 1 australorp cockerel. I know I shouldn't introduce just the ISA brown by herself but not sure how the cockerel situation will turn out. I don't intend on keeping the cockerels but was hoping to get them further along before we use them for meat. Will the older roo most likely try to kill them? Anyone have experience with this, I'd appreciate any advice.

they should be ok. the 16 week olds might be a little protective but I still wouldn't worry. make sure you have lots of hidey holes for them to escape into and be able to hide. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks... was just worried as 'Roostie' is already pretty protective and very capable of inflicting some damage. We've already had our moments and he hasn't even got his spurs yet. He's a handsome fella, and he's doing his job, though. Today I just picked up what had better be four Australorp pullets. We really didn't need four but we have plenty in our circles that will gladly take an egg layer... so fingers crossed, they're all girls.

The whole chicken math thing... yeah... I get it now.

Follow up... I'm convinced after looking at many a post... The other pullet we do have is actually a Golden Comet (instead of an ISA brown). Doesn't matter either way to me what she is. She is such a friendly bird. She seeks you out and wants to be held all the time. A pure sweetheart of a bird and looking more and more to be a definite pullet with well defined rounded tail feathers and minimal comb and no wattles as of yet. Truly love this breed. It's just disheartening to read their life span is shorter as with the ISA browns. This weekend I should have the run done and will post pics. I'm probably going to sell the plans to the coop I've made as I put as much money into it as so many of the Amish/Mennonite coops and they have much less square footage per $. Looking for a good program that works with Linux/Unix for doing structural plans so I can post this. (Until now, I have never had to adjust plans for woodworking because a 2x4,2x6,4x4, 4x6.... is no longer dimensionally what you would expect), but it is singularly the one thing that hindered this whole project and cost me more from shoddy lumber being available. The excuses are always the same right now, and I'm sick of it personally. "Because of covid we can no longer do our job right" is what it amounts to. Cowboy up, or go home.

Back
Top Bottom