Hey everyone I have a quick question. I have two 10 week old harlequins and four adult khaki campbells Including a drake. They have all met through a fence and seem to accept each other. (Hang out and deliberately seek each other out) I have them separate though because I didn't know if the drake would hurt the younger ducks. Im in no rush to put them together but im curious at what point it would be safe to do so? Thank you guys!
I have raised ducks a number of years..same breeding pairs..as soon as ducklings hatch i separate drakes from ma AND Her ducklings..they also have a 1/4 inch hardware cloth between them..anything that allows beaks through is TOO BIG. The Babies can/will be pulled through and killed..if possible Also Baby ducks WILL DROWN. I turn a garbage can lid upside down put a brick in middle and fill that twice a day with clean water. I do not ever allow mom amd Babies with rest of flock until they are considered full size..i do keep mom WITH her babies only. ( i usually have 3 or 4 clutches, all separate from each other, but able to "talk" through their fences...so they can run.away😉.while they get used to each other. This is almost always 6 to 8 weeks, as i raise Buffs ..
Hope this helps, others may diasagree but in my early years ive had mom, and drakes seriously injure duckling even at 4 weeks old..drakes will also try to drowned the young..esp. if they realize they are indeed drakes....Congrats and enjoy the adventure...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom