Introduction

Glad to meet you, and congratulations on those new baby chicks. I see you posted about one of them, and I hope it gets better soon! I will say that my chicks stopped having issues with pasty butt after I started giving them fermented moistened feed. But I know that not every one subscribes to that as a prevention.

My chicks (and chickens) love their feed that way, and it prevents a LOT of waste from birds tossing dry feed around. I am not sure it benefits their health in other ways, but it appeared to help prevent pasty but in the chicks. Now, with adults, I really needed to cut down the dry feed waste, and this did it.

In case it helps, even to feel prepared, here is a list of posts and articles from BYC about chicken ailments and how to treat them, including one of the (many) entries on a first aid kit for chickens.

BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

Here are some more articles:

1. Chicken ailments (an aging index to articles written over the years about chicken illnesses. Be aware that some of the links dont work and some of the authors have disappeared from BYC. The date of the index is 2012! Nothing else as comprehensive) and this updated

Chicken Illnesses Library

1 a. Treating Sour Crop and Impacted Crop and How to Tell the Difference and Prevention and Treatments of Crop Disorders

1 b. Chicken Poop

1 c. What to expect as your hen passes away from old age

1 d. Vaccinating chicks for Mareks Disease

2. Chicken First Aid Kit (again, an older article, but a good one; there have been a number of more recent posts discussing this here and here, for instance)

3. Things I wish I knew before I got my first chick (covers chicks to old age)

4. Maintaining a healthy coop (with lots of links)

5. Natural healing (there are items in this article that some members may disagree with, notably the use of diatomaceous earth)

Back
Top Bottom