Intruder last night

Padorna23

Chirping
Oct 19, 2020
New Jersey
Hey guys I had my first predator try to get into my coop last night. I’m assuming it was a raccoon but not exactly sure. I wasn’t able to sink hardware cloth around my run on the outside because of there being way too much rock and stone. Can I put hardware cloth on the floor of the run and staple it to the base of my run? I have 4x4s running around the entire run so I have a base to staple it to. Also if I lay hay down over the hardware cloth will it injure my chickens feet as they are primarily in the run and coop area all day? Also I don’t keep food or anything in the run I just think whatever it was found out I had chickens and wanted to get in.

Here is what the coop looks like also

Attachments

• 311BB0E0-506A-484C-83BD-D8F5D3A14DAD.jpeg
    311BB0E0-506A-484C-83BD-D8F5D3A14DAD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Hey guys I had my first predator try to get into my coop last night. I’m assuming it was a raccoon but not exactly sure. I wasn’t able to sink hardware cloth around my run on the outside because of there being way too much rock and stone. Can I put hardware cloth on the floor of the run and staple it to the base of my run? I have 4x4s running around the entire run so I have a base to staple it to. Also if I lay hay down over the hardware cloth will it injure my chicken's feet as they are primarily in the run and coop area all day? Also, I don’t keep food or anything in the run I just think whatever it was found out I had chickens and wanted to get in.
Did the chickens get hurt or did the racoon touch them? He might have wanted the eggs. We smelt a skunk a couple of nights ago. He was there because he wanted the eggs. He dint get in though. I don't know how to answer your hardware cloth question but hopefully someone can help you.

Did the chickens get hurt or did the racoon touch them? He might have wanted the eggs. We smelt a skunk a couple of nights ago. He was there because he wanted the eggs. He dint get in though. I don't know how to answer your hardware cloth question but hopefully someone can help you.
It only got into the run and not the coop so it didn’t get near my girls. They aren’t laying yet so there are no eggs in there

I'm sorry you had raccoon trouble. I am no expert, but judging by the way my hens behave in their run, I would not be comfortable having hardware cloth on the ground, even under hay or other litter. My hens dig like crazy in there. They literally make fairly deep holes in several places in the run. (I have backyard dirt/ grass with about 3 inches of pine straw and fall leaves on top in the run.)

I'd be worried they will snag their toenails/ claws/ whatever they are on the wire under their feet.

I'm sorry you had raccoon trouble. I am no expert, but judging by the way my hens behave in their run, I would not be comfortable having hardware cloth on the ground, even under hay or other litter. My hens dig like crazy in there. They literally make fairly deep holes in several places in the run. (I have backyard dirt/ grass with about 3 inches of pine straw and fall leaves on top in the run.)

I'd be worried they will snag their toenails/ claws/ whatever they are on the wire under their feet.
I wonder if it was them digging?? I didn’t actually see the raccoon I just noticed a small hole coming in.

He wont get through the hardware cloth stapled to the inside. Cover the entire bottom, turn it up the sides and fasten to your 4x4s. The key here is the fastening, you say staples, i hope you mean fence staples. Another way to fasten is to use screws with washers. Leave no holes. Covering the wire with something will protect their feet even though they might scratch through it at times.

He wont get through the hardware cloth stapled to the inside. Cover the entire bottom, turn it up the sides and fasten to your 4x4s. The key here is the fastening, you say staples, i hope you mean fence staples. Another way to fasten is to use screws with washers. Leave no holes. Covering the wire with something will protect their feet even though they might scratch through it at times.
When I say staples I mean a ton lol I’m using an air stapler with 3/4 in staples

Back
Top Bottom