Invermectin Oral Paste 1.87% - What is Correct for Gapeworm?

Rutus

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
Kitsap County, WA
Well, I've looked at lots of threads and cannot get a clear answer: if you have the 1.87% Invermectin paste sold for horses, what amount do you use to treat an average adult chicken for gapeworm, and what is the best way to administer it? Or do you get the liquid solution, or something else?

Lots of discussion touching on this but I have not found anything conclusive. Dawg53, I bet you would probably know if anyone does.
cool.png

mine had gapeworm and i used verm-x i put it into a syringe with some water and put in her beak and administered it, i only have 4 chickens so it was easy to do and they love to be picked up so i had no problem getting hold of them, they didn't mind having the medicine poured into their beaks and swallowed the medicine ok, i added it to their water and to their treats they get in the morning i did this for 4 days and then stopped, there has been no problem since.
hope this helps.

It's not exact so don't take what I say as gospel, but we always just squeezed out a ball about the size of 2 BBs and swiped it into the roof of their mouth for worming with the invermectin paste. That's just how we used the paste, though we use the Invermectin liquid now for worming most of the time. Valbazen gets all the worms they can ever have, but it's more expensive than the other. I realize the paste is quite cheap, which is why we used to use that.

A "pea" size amount is what I recommend, as speckledhen mentioned 2BB's equal about a pea size amount. If you are positive that it's gapeworm, it will take several dosings to get rid of them. Dose 10 days apart. Gapes and tapes are tough to get rid of.

Oops, sorry Dawg, must have been typing as you posted your followup
tongue.png
Thanks for the info, will give it a try and see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom