Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

It worked. Hatched 11 out of 16 in the first try. 2 smokies 2 birchen 1 or 2 charchoal and the rest silver. I knew it was holding temp tighter than 98.5 and 100 for a week but I am still amazed it worked. That is a hot plate in there with a 8 inch fan with 3 one inch holes behind the fan. I actually moved the hot plate to the far end of the bator, and with a 12 hour water pan on top of the hot plate it could reach 60% humidity. It had to be a smaller water pan that didn't entirely cover the burner, and I had to get the resistence on the hot plate just right. Aluminum oxide paint kept the wood from absorbing all the moisture. That is quarter inch plexiglass. And this.

There is a review for this thermostat on the BYC site, and I should have included the link right here. It is the real deal, makes everything easy.

I think I can get 48 eggs in it. Just using LG turners and built it to fit 2 of them, but the hatching tray will limit how many eggs. Just think its cool that I could get it to work.
The electronic thermostat is a hugh leap forward for incubators. I updated my very old Sportsman 1202 a couple years ago, removing the double wafer set up and adding a gqf electronic thermostat. The temperatures in my garage dip down into the 40's, but the incubator barely budges (using a little extra insulation around it). I like your homemade incubator, did you feature it in some other posts?

Side sprigs can become a real pain to eliminate. If he breeds with a female carrying recessive "sprigs", ALL their offspring will have sprigs...and so on.
barnie.gif
It's just reverting back to another comb type that has been bred in the past.

Side sprigs can become a real pain to eliminate. If he breeds with a female carrying recessive "sprigs", ALL their offspring will have sprigs...and so on.
barnie.gif
It's just reverting back to another comb type that has been bred in the past.
Sounds like a problem I don't need. He is the largest with a nice body type, but there are other options without this problem. And to get half of your cockrels with sprigs would be frustrating. Think I knew the answer, but I do like him. Time to move on, thanks for the help Java and Candy.

Due to an unfortunate chain of events this past week, I've made the difficult decision to liquidate all of my stock. It has been a pleasure getting to know all of you, and I appreciate the knowledge many of you have graciously shared with me. I hope to someday rejoin the club in hopes of contributing to the breed once again, but for now I have decided it best to not raise chickens. I will continue reading the thread... I enjoy seeing the accomplishments you have all made in your flocks.

I have birds of all ages. If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to send pictures and prices.

-Emily Meierotto
Rosewood Poultry

Last edited:
Due to an unfortunate chain of events this past week, I've made the difficult decision to liquidate all of my stock. It has been a pleasure getting to know all of you, and I appreciate the knowledge many of you have graciously shared with me. I hope to someday rejoin the club in hopes of contributing to the breed once again, but for now I have decided it best to not raise chickens. I will continue reading the thread... I enjoy seeing the accomplishments you have all made in your flocks.

I have birds of all ages. If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to send pictures and prices.

-Emily Meierotto
Rosewood Poultry
Sorry to hear about that. How many chickens do you need to move??

-Emily Meierotto
Rosewood Poultry
so sorry to hear that! keep in touch Emily!

Getting some interesting hatches:

July hatch, only three eggs put under the broody:

Also a strange single hatch that came out all creamy white...now getting some black patches of feathers:
As a 2 week old:

and today:

Has anyone hatched an Iowa that was almost all white? His legs are flesh colored, but one of our smokeys also had that then when they got older, started to be a light silvery color...

Back
Top Bottom