Iowa Chicken Nooby

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IowaChickenNooby, May 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Duck Addict

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    What kind of bedding are you using?

2. IowaChickenNooby

IowaChickenNooby Chirping

May 24, 2019
    Kiln dried softwood. I had been told that was fine.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Sorry for your loss.

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Ryan, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Sorry for your loss. I hope the rest remain healthy.

5. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Duck Addict

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    How fine is it, texture wise?

6. IowaChickenNooby

May 24, 2019
    Decent sized chips, nothin too fine. I'd say the average size would range from a quarter to 50 cent piece in size.

7. Hi! Welcome. I'm sorry you lost a chick. That happened to me with y first half dozen too.

As for your question about naming, I haven't named my birds until I could pretty much tell them apart. That pretty much only means my Wyandottes which have size, color and personality differences.

Hope you enjoy being here and learning stuff here as much as i have!

8. t3wine

t3wine Chirping

May 22, 2018
    Hi and welcome! I’m fairly new to the site too but have had chickens off and on all my life. Sorry about your chick. I’m worried about your fan, drafts are not a good idea. Are you worried they are too warm. Do you have a thermometer?

9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Ryan :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Thanks for joining us! :woot

10. IowaChickenNooby

May 24, 2019
    I am not entirely worried about the heat so much as I am about the stagnant air. The room I have the brooder in is stuffy. I have the fan pointed at the door so that only some fresh air comes into them. In a sense, I am just trying to increase the circulation of the air in the room without creating extreme drafts, if that makes sense. The fan is on the lowest setting as well. I do turn it down/off when the temps reach a more reasonable level and the humidity/stuffiness goes away.

The brooder itself has a thermometer inside. At the moment it stays around 91 in the direct center, at the ground level, and the birds wander around as they please. During peak daytime, it can get to 99F so I try to control that a little with the fan. Figured an A/C unit would produce cold drafts that are even worse. Should I try bringing up the light some more? They like to pass out face down outside of the direct center of the light but not entirely in a pile. more like in a loose mess. Would it help if I just upload a photo?

Last edited: May 25, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: