Iowa Chicken Nooby

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IowaChickenNooby, May 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. t3wine

t3wine Chirping

May 22, 2018
    Hello again, checked out your pictures, looks like a nice set up! To answer your question about feed waste, get the little round feeder with the holes in the top. In fact get two, I rotate them each day. I replace the used one with a clean one each day.

2. IowaChickenNooby

IowaChickenNooby Chirping

May 24, 2019
    I have been refilling their bowls daily. They scratch a lot out bet then go about grazing whenever they want. I have two or three that are starting to roost on a stick I put in there, which is cool. Today I also noticed one of the Cinnamon Queens looks to be getting adult feathers on her chest/upper wing which I am excited for. I still need to build a coop so I guess I need to get stepping on it. Then again there are always prefabs I can fall back on.

I am curious, is there a most recommended coop design/blueprint for around 6 hens. I'd prefer to do something low profile, accessible, but be high enough to let the chickens wander under for part of their run. I would like to give them as much wander room as possible.

That brings on another question, where do I look and what is the general consensus on wing clipping? I only have a 5' tall tpost fence and I am sure these birds can get on it once they are grown lol.

3. t3wine

t3wine Chirping

May 22, 2018
    There are many, many coop designs on this site. You can get a lot of great ideas and peoples ideas about what and why it works for them. Be care of the open top coop, predators are always a factor. You’ll find lots of pics on wing clipping here too! Just search the forums.

rjohns39 and drumstick diva like this.
  4. IowaChickenNooby

IowaChickenNooby Chirping

May 24, 2019
    To the search function I go then. Yeah I have coyotes and local cats, coons, and hawks. The coop will be within sightline of a window of mine and I am damn accurate with my .22 so I am not overly concerned. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure though.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

rjohns39, sourland and DobieLover like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: