Iowa Chicken Nooby

Hello again, checked out your pictures, looks like a nice set up! To answer your question about feed waste, get the little round feeder with the holes in the top. In fact get two, I rotate them each day. I replace the used one with a clean one each day.

I have been refilling their bowls daily. They scratch a lot out bet then go about grazing whenever they want. I have two or three that are starting to roost on a stick I put in there, which is cool. Today I also noticed one of the Cinnamon Queens looks to be getting adult feathers on her chest/upper wing which I am excited for. I still need to build a coop so I guess I need to get stepping on it. Then again there are always prefabs I can fall back on.

I am curious, is there a most recommended coop design/blueprint for around 6 hens. I'd prefer to do something low profile, accessible, but be high enough to let the chickens wander under for part of their run. I would like to give them as much wander room as possible.

That brings on another question, where do I look and what is the general consensus on wing clipping? I only have a 5' tall tpost fence and I am sure these birds can get on it once they are grown lol.

There are many, many coop designs on this site. You can get a lot of great ideas and peoples ideas about what and why it works for them. Be care of the open top coop, predators are always a factor. You’ll find lots of pics on wing clipping here too! Just search the forums.

Back
Top Bottom