Iridescent feathers

Update with a young hen:
IMG_0443.jpeg

She sounds so angry!
True. None of them like to be handled. I used to put a little effort into making them tame but I can’t do that with all of them and no way to know early on who’s going to make the cut. This is the second take. In the first one she did a freak-out and tried to get away.

Are they a mix of game fowls with the iridescent traits?

And how long have you been working with them?
They are all a mix of many different breeds and the only one that would classify as game fowl would be O Shamo…many generations back. They are all certainly no more than 6% O Shamo but I’ve been selecting for large bodies and big feet/long legs so you still see the influence. There’s Sumatra, Ayam Cemani and Tomaru but many more. I was mixing in all sorts of different breeds so hard to know which breeds are still part of the blood line and which ones got eliminated. I’ve been at it about 7 years.

They are all a mix of many different breeds and the only one that would classify as game fowl would be O Shamo…many generations back. They are all certainly no more than 6% O Shamo but I’ve been selecting for large bodies and big feet/long legs so you still see the influence. There’s Sumatra, Ayam Cemani and Tomaru but many more. I was mixing in all sorts of different breeds so hard to know which breeds are still part of the blood line and which ones got eliminated. I’ve been at it about 7 years.
That's commitment. The birds you have now are unique. Hope you reach your end result soon.

Back
Top Bottom