Iridescent feathers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlisonDS, Oct 22, 2012.

1. AlisonDS

AlisonDS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Is there any instance or breed where the hen might have greenish iridescent tail feathers?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Lots of them do. Barred Rocks, Australorps, Black Sex Links, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, etc.

Depending on the breeding, it is not uncommon at all for feathers, here and there, to have that black, but green tones, especially in the sunlight.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    most black birds have those iridescent feathers and in the right light they could even look purple and blue as well

4. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    My black jersey giant has beautiful green/purple iridescent feathers on her back and tail.

You can see a little of it on her sides here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    [​IMG]

SS pullet with VERY green tail feathers.

6. gruffy

gruffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    I know this is old but thought I'd ask if you could breed chickens to be more iridescent? Is there a specific breed that would be shinier?

7. RobG7aChattTN

RobG7aChattTN Chillin' With My Peeps

I've wondered the same. After asking around it seems that all iridescent chicken breeds call for a green sheen even though blue, purple and violet colors can be found. Sumatras have really nice green iridescence (and blue is seen as a fault and many claim that a Sumatra with blue iridescence is under stress), Ayam Cemani have nice blue iridescence and there are some pacific and South American breeds that are purported to have some Green Jungle Fowl in their ancestry that are "violaceous". Of course, Green Jungle Fowl are incredibly iridescent (and Bekisars, the hybrid of green and red Jungle Fowl are extremely iridescent purple/violet).

Attached Files:

8. RobG7aChattTN

I had a breeding project where none of the birds had any iridescence in their bloodline (for quite a few generations anyway) and I had a lot of black birds show up with some iridescence. I crossed those birds to try and get something else and got a few chicks with even more iridescence (this photo is of the hen) so I'm crossing a pair together to see if I can get even more. I also have Sumatras crossed to Ayam Cemani and so far none of them seem to have more iridescence than the parents but perhaps after another moult. At any rate at some point they will all be crossed together. IMG_9069.JPG

crunchybabychicken likes this.
  9. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    what a pretty girl!

10. RobG7aChattTN

Green Jungle Fowl:

IMG_8609.jpg

Bekisar (hybrid of Green Jungle Fowl and Red Jungle Fowl):

IMG_7390.jpg