Iris is broody again!

rooster-red

Here comes the Rooster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Douglasville GA
My little EE Iris who hatched eggs in Jan. is at it again!

Pict4928.jpg

Quote:
Hazel has the teenage chicken mentality going, she couldn't care less about sitting on eggs! Hazel is waaayyy too active to slow down and go broody, and I don't think I'd want to have them both broody at the same time.

Iris did just gain all her weight back from the last time, but this time I'm feeding her 22% layer and am going to suppliment her diet with extra protien to keep weight on her.

Hazel always did seem a bit more of the silly type, LOL. They're such sweet girls, both of them. Did you see that one of my PoufyHead Sisters is broody? Olivia, Tux's sister, is on eggs, due May 17 or so. Only one is developing properly, Hawkeye's last one here with Lexie as its mom.

Bless her heart!
love.gif
She deserves some watermelon on Mother's Day! LOL

I probably have the only broody in history that actually GAINED weight while she sat! Hootie is an extremely active chicken, freeranging all over the place. Being broody made her slow down and not burn as many calories, I guess.

I just went out to check on Iris, found her still sitting on the nest, along with 2 rather large BR hens!

I ran the BR's off and picked Iris up to check her eggs, the BR's had deposited 2 more eggs but had smashed most of the eggs already in the nest.

What a mess! I cleaned Iris up and cleared out the nest box, back to square one.

If Iris remains broody I'll seperate her out in a nest all to herself, I guess I should have done that from the start.

Oh well, it gives me a chance to collect some of my RIR eggs for her to brood.

Hazel is acting part time broody now, silly girl sits on air but screams and puffs up just like Iris does, then you'll see her out in the run for a few hours.
She just can't make up her mind!

Back
Top Bottom