Irresponsible Neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CariLynn

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
State of confusion
I have a neighbor, whom I really like a lot, we use to do things together, she would come over and help me feed the animals, then we would talk for a few minutes in the barn. In this time I knew she fed the wildlife, I mean ALL the wildlife. The birds, raccoons, possums, deer, squirrels, etc. and I kept cautioning her that this is not a wise idea nor do I personally want them around our farm. I even went so far as to explain to her WHY a few of them are not welcome but yet, she would either say it is her business and her home, which it is.

This spring she was visited by a sow bear and two babies, they went after the bird feeders and did some minor damage to the feeders and some hooks. Couple weeks after her the big male bear showed up and did quite a bit of damage to her place, coming back for several nights and looking for food. They stayed around so I urged her to call the wildlife biologist and fish and game, they told her pick up all food and do not feed anything for 6 to 8 weeks, she never told them she feeds everything and what she puts out, only about feeding birds.

Well, she is now back to putting out cracked corn for the deer, not sure about the sweet feed she was giving them too, bad food stuff that rots for the vultures, dog food for the raccoons and possums, and when I again told her that I don't want the bears back nor the deer, as our property wraps around hers, she got angry and rude. So, I called wild life and fish and game, they came out yesterday and talked to her, explained to her that as of Sept. 1 it is illegal to feed any and all deer in VA as well as any other wild animal, and the damage it could potentially cause to the eco-system and vegetation. She did not care that some of these wild animals can pass on potentially fatal diseases to my horses and some could even try to get into our hen yard and destroy my flock. Her view is she moved out to the country to enjoy the wildlife and will do whatever the hell she wants, if not she will move back to D.C....my reply was well that may be best.

Would you have done the same? How would yo have handled this situation? Did I mention she also takes in stray cats and is now up to 7?! Three of those are her own personal cats. She refuses to find homes for them as she doesn't want them put to sleep and no one will take care of them like she does. We already have problems with foxes, have had the bear behind our house by our fence, etc....

I would have turned her in the first time I saw the behavior; I also would have encouraged her to move back to DC the first time I saw her behavior. She sounds like a typical, self-absorbed, yuppie witch who has no idea on how wildlife actually behave while expecting the neighbors to assume that her views are more important than their own.

I would have told Fish and Game she fed the bears, which she was doing by putting out sweet feed and grain. If she does it again this year, she'll probably see more bears. I'd also call whichever portion of the agency picked up the bears last year and point out what she did then, and what she is doing now.

On the other hand, with any luck she'll annoy a sow or boar and the problem will solve itself.

And I'd put out live traps for any cats that cross your property. You can't change her - but you can defend your own home and stock.

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing. Ultimately she is setting wild bears up to become problem bears and problem bears end up dead bears. She's not doing them (or any of the critters) any favors.

Quote:
I wouldn't of said anything if it didn't bring unwanted wild life to my farm. And it is not fun when you have a deer jump out of the woods in front of your horse and he spooks in place...nor is it fun to go close your hay barn and a cat come streaking out and scares the hades out of you, spraying your hay with urine before he got scared off...

My equines and chicken flock mean more to me than someone who cannot follow the law...I asked nicely many times and explained why what she was doing was wrong. But when it puts my animals at risk to get harmed, a potentially fatal disease, or worse, then I think not getting involved went out the door, as she doesn't pay my vet bills, I do.

I would have said something to her or done something about it if her attitude was still lax, especially when the bears started coming around. It's because of people like her that laws are being passed outlawing all feeding of all animals. That means that even us duck lovers who bring peas down to the lake once in a while would be breaking the law. Some people don't think about the consequences when they feed certain animals such as attracting predators that feed on those animals that she's feeding for one.

Quote:
I wouldn't of said anything if it didn't bring unwanted wild life to my farm. And it is not fun when you have a deer jump out of the woods in front of your horse and he spooks in place...nor is it fun to go close your hay barn and a cat come streaking out and scares the hades out of you, spraying your hay with urine before he got scared off...

My equines and chicken flock mean more to me than someone who cannot follow the law...I asked nicely many times and explained why what she was doing was wrong. But when it puts my animals at risk to get harmed, a potentially fatal disease, or worse, then I think not getting involved went out the door, as she doesn't pay my vet bills, I do.

Keep reporting her to fish and wildlife, they can be pretty heavy handed and will gather enough evidence to cost your neighbor real money and sometimes jail time.

Quote:

I still would have minded my own business..
If you dont want deer in your woods..then move to the city...
idunno.gif

If my neighbor called on me because i wanted to feed the wildlife in my yard...
Well..... 2 can play dirty...
Again.. this is just MY opinion on the matter...
i'm not going to argue with you... its your choice and its already done anyways...
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom