1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is 2 week old chick trying to crow

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Spud Chicken, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    In Oct. only one Blue Orpington chick hatched. Yesterday I was holding the chick, and it does all the motions of a rooster crowing but no sound. At this post the chick is 16 days old and was wondering if this chick might be rooster.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    no chick would even be thinking of crowing at this age [​IMG]

3. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    That's what I thought, but you never know.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Can you post a video? I'd love to see this!

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    my chick will strech it's neck out and open it's mouth wide. What is it doing?

6. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I don't know about standards, but I have had some bantams before start at 2 to 3 weeks...so it maybe....

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Actually, this question has come up before on BYC and I read a reply from someone on another thread that her roo started "crowing" at only 5 days of age. The description was very similar to what you are describing.

8. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    it might be yawning....i've seen my chicks do that

9. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I got Norwegian Jaerhon hatching eggs. I ended up with 4 cockerels and 5 pullets... I had one of the baby roos crow at just under 2 wks... and he did it daily!!! When I first heard I rushed to the brooder because I thought someone had to be dying from the sound he was making... nope as I stood there he did it again... the whole 9 yards... puffed out chest, wing flapping... it was hysterical. They are not quite 8 weeks old and some of the cockerels are trying to mount the pullets [​IMG] of course the girls will have none of that [​IMG]

Apparently these birds do mature early

10. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    I had a marans cockerel who started crowing at 1 week, and I know people have had them start earlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by