is 25$ a lot for a chicken?

If they are young, as in 1 yr old, and laying, they may be worth it. If they are 2+ years, they will be worth a lot less.
Did he say how old?
:goodpost:
I get around $25 per egg layer @ 1 y/o.
$5 per chick then $2 per-each month I raise and feed them, care for them and keep them thriving.
2 y/o hens start dropping the value since egg production slows down- then 3 yrs etc.
IMO I wouldn’t pay that much for a hen, but I’m cheap and don’t need to. Chicks at a supply store run $2-3 each.
You do relize feed stores sell chicks for less than they pay for them. To lure chicken owners to buy higher value items like feed/water
ers/dishes/medications/bedding/fencing on and on and on.
If nobody had chickens, how could they profit and keep their store open.
I sell my hatchlings to various mom & pop feed stores for $5 each, but as a barter trade for feed. If I give them 30 chicks, they give me $150 store credit. Then in turn they sell the chicks around $3.00. Flooding the local community with cheap chicks to get them to need supplies for their new hobby.

$25 is a lot, especially if they bring disease into your flock.
I don't think people realize how many people out there continue to sell chicks when they have disease in their own flock.
Which is so wrong on many levels, yet they continue to do so.
Check the seller out...if they are a member on here read all of their posts.
Awesome point you have made. No matter who or where your new additions are purchased from, QUARANTINE is mandatory.
When we introduce pigs or bucks or does to our stock, the same rule of thumb applies. Introduction can cause a bio-hazard situation.

EDITED FOR GRAMMAR

Last edited:
Oh, in Canada. Then $25 Canadian right now is $19 USD. If you do it, ask if they'd offer a money back guarantee of sex.
Excellent point. Insist on that guarantee. For that price you dont want 5 roosters. Heck you asked for pullets so you should get pullets! A reputable breeder will guarentee gender.

Price depends on what your market is like. $25 is a fairly average price for a common breed or mix in my area while it is outrageous in others. Look at local ads to see what is common in your area and what you can fit in your budget.
Excellent-Reply-farmer-conn.gif

Price for birds reflects what the local market can bear.

Very true. If people in my area will pay $10 for a dozen eggs then a $25 bird isn't "too much." Any breed of chick that's even remotely "rare" around my neck of the woods is $15, $20, even more. I just paid $20 for a BCM chick from the feed store, just to avoid having to have chicks shipped myself.

Back
Top Bottom