is 25$ a lot for a chicken?

Pics
That's far too much for mixed variety birds. "all different colors" does not imply breeder quality or as he put it "show quality". To me they may have gotten birds from a breeder then let them procreate and don't actually breed them to standard. There is a huge difference. A 9 week old bird could be judged as good quality by that age but not show quality and the fact there are so few birds and different colors screams they are not from select breeding rather one cock of a variety covering other varieties. Not quite backyard mix but not 25 dollar birds either. And straight run for that price? Wow, that's a rip off.

Price for birds reflects what the local market can bear. That said you should pay more for high quality or rare breeds. I personally would have no problem spending up to 50 bucks on a single hen, even if she was 2 or 3 years old but she would have to be of exceeding quality for me to do so and of course I'd breed her and hatch almost every egg until she gave no more.

I just don't see anything that says these birds are of high quality or even of an actual variety.

If they are young, as in 1 yr old, and laying, they may be worth it. If they are 2+ years, they will be worth a lot less.
Did he say how old?
:goodpost:
I get around $25 per egg layer @ 1 y/o.
$5 per chick then $2 per-each month I raise and feed them, care for them and keep them thriving.
2 y/o hens start dropping the value since egg production slows down- then 3 yrs etc.
IMO I wouldn’t pay that much for a hen, but I’m cheap and don’t need to. Chicks at a supply store run $2-3 each.
You do relize feed stores sell chicks for less than they pay for them. To lure chicken owners to buy higher value items like feed/water
ers/dishes/medications/bedding/fencing on and on and on.
If nobody had chickens, how could they profit and keep their store open.
I sell my hatchlings to various mom & pop feed stores for $5 each, but as a barter trade for feed. If I give them 30 chicks, they give me $150 store credit. Then in turn they sell the chicks around $3.00. Flooding the local community with cheap chicks to get them to need supplies for their new hobby.

$25 is a lot, especially if they bring disease into your flock.
I don't think people realize how many people out there continue to sell chicks when they have disease in their own flock.
Which is so wrong on many levels, yet they continue to do so.
Check the seller out...if they are a member on here read all of their posts.
Awesome point you have made. No matter who or where your new additions are purchased from, QUARANTINE is mandatory.
When we introduce pigs or bucks or does to our stock, the same rule of thumb applies. Introduction can cause a bio-hazard situation.

EDITED FOR GRAMMAR

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom