Is 3ft ok?

I've got about a 2ft fence around my garden they haven't been able to get into it. But 3ft would leave alot of room for predators to get over it if you don't have a top!!

I have a covered run that is 4 ft tall, one that is angled with 6 ft at the peak and 4 ft at the edges, and finally two 6 ft tall one's. I MUCH prefer the 6 ft tall one's, it is easier to get in there with your birds, have access if there is a problem, and easier cleaning. You don't have to bend down all the time.

If you are planning on covering the run then 3 ft tall could work if you don't mind bending down all the time. I have seen some pictures on here where people have a short run but have access doors on top for easy access. They of course aren't very big. My runs range from 8ft x 8ft to 20ft x 30ft.

If you are not planning on covering it then I would say for sure it isn't tall enough. It would be easy access for a dog, coon, or any other predator to get to your birds. Of course the birds may also be able to escape.

Yup planning on covering it with plywood on hinges, since it's rainproof, will 2 frequently(once a day) changed large cardboard box be enough shelter for 2-3 babies??? Babies being an affectionate term for fully feathered adults. How old is that btw?

Northern Illinois, but the duckies would get to live inside when it gets below 30' f

I think of adult as about seven months old. For shelter, ducks are fairly hardy but so prone to attack by predators, and they need a dry spot, even though they make such muddy messes
wink.png

I tell you it is better to train them on one permanent routine. What I mean is mine have to go into the duck house at night, regardless of temperature. They have that routine down to perfection. I never have to round them up, they simply go into their house when it gets dark and I just close the door. In the morning they wait for me to open the duck house up and they will walk across to parking lot to their outdoor area. So that being said I would not try to teach them two routines, one for summer and one for winter. I think that may be to confusing to them.

So...... I should leave them out in winter? Like during the day? I don't know..... Il gets pretty cold.....

Back
Top Bottom